Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Had to Dump Beer  (Read 5754 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Had to Dump Beer
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 02:12:47 pm »
Did you purge the kegs of O2 w/Co2? Did you primary ferment in a bucket?

Keith, forgot to answer this.  One was bucket the other BB.
Dave Zach

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 02:14:59 pm »

If it makes you feel any better I have 15 bbls of Dubbel that I missed my OG with and can't figure out what to do with. It was my dumb fault for targeting 13 bbls on recipe and brewing it to 15. Tastes fine but boring and not to style and I don't have anything to call it so it's probably going to be dumped. Stuff happens.

That is a bit of a higher volume Keith.  I like the Monk's Table idea.  Hate for beer to go to waste! 

I think I may chalk it up to the fermentation.  After looking at my notes again, the Pils with 2278 stalled at 1.030 after a week so I raised it to 68F for 5 days.  That means after this one burned out it was raised to 57F for a week and then 68F for 5 days.  My bet is that was the cause of some Aceto growing in there and souring the beer.  The Pils came out just fine.  Live, brew and learn!

Dave
So, what are you taking away from this? Pitch more yeast? Aerate more? How else can you stop it from stalling and having to mess with the temperatures?
Jesse

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 02:35:36 pm »
I think my takeaway is not to try and ferment 2 batches a week apart in the same chest freezer at the same time.  Also, since 2278 throws out a lot of sulfur at lower temps, I should not ferment it with other strains that do well at lower temps.  I tried to take a shortcut and it cost me.....
Dave Zach

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 02:37:13 pm »

Keith, forgot to answer this.  One was bucket the other BB.

The only reason I sked is because I have lost a few batches that I left too long in a bucket. Acetobacter love o2 and can not reproduce without it. If you didn't purge the kegs with co2 and didn't purge headspace either this could be the problem. But if it stalled on you you may have other problems.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 02:40:35 pm »
I should clarify that the one that went sour had 2001 and was in the chest freezer a week ahead of the 2278 that stalled.  So it was in there for 7 days at 52F, then 7 days at 57F, then 5 days at 68F.  The one with 2278 is fine and on tap now.  The one with 2001 was the sour one.
Dave Zach

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2013, 03:28:18 pm »
Sounds like alcohol abuse. Can't believe you dumped it. If the worst offender was no head then I'd have drunk it anyway, as long as it tasted fine.

But then again I was taught at a very young age that no head at all was a desirable outcome in a pour. ::) And that's no kidding!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 03:31:21 pm »
Sounds like alcohol abuse. Can't believe you dumped it. If the worst offender was no head then I'd have drunk it anyway, as long as it tasted fine.

But then again I was taught at a very young age that no head at all was a desirable outcome in a pour. ::) And that's no kidding!

LOL Euge.  I should have sent a sample to Kyle for his critique and discussion at the NHC on sour beers!
Dave Zach

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 04:04:29 pm »
Hey- I've nearly managed to convince myself that my latest lager isn't an utter failure but a stroke of genius instead. ;) Nearly.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2013, 06:19:16 am »
It hit me last night.  I forgot to relieve the blow off hose pressure as the beer cooled to lagering temps and these two sucked in some of the water in the blow off pitcher.  Man, I hate when that happens!  It happened to one of the lagers I have in there now, that has been on the cake for 4 weeks.  I hope not with the same result!   :-\

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2013, 09:21:04 am »
Hey, I like Monk's Table. Might steal that!
Glad I could help save a large batch of beer from destruction.  Monks would definitely not approve.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Re: Had to Dump Beer
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2013, 12:27:56 pm »
If it makes you feel any better I have 15 bbls of Dubbel that I missed my OG with and can't figure out what to do with. It was my dumb fault for targeting 13 bbls on recipe and brewing it to 15. Tastes fine but boring and not to style and I don't have anything to call it so it's probably going to be dumped. Stuff happens.

Dumping it just because you don't have a good name for it? Blasphemy! Try dry hopping and/or spicing it. I brewed a 1.051 light dubbel with a boatload of late hops not too long ago and it was one of the best beers I've ever brewed.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: Re: Had to Dump Beer
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2013, 02:22:43 pm »

Keith

isn't it basically a Belgian Amber then?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281