Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Coconut wine, anyone?  (Read 13407 times)

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
Coconut wine, anyone?
« on: March 26, 2013, 09:53:00 am »
Ok, this came to me in a dream last night so if it sounds like nonsense, carry on and pretend you didn't see it. I live in Colorado so fresh ingredients off the tree are out of the question but the local Whole Foods has Coconut water, coconut sugar and dried coconut. I'm thinking the water probably has preservatives in it which might not play nicely with yeast but homemade rice milk could be a possible substitute. Pretty sure that just involves mashing/pureeing rice in water. Then boil with chunks of dried coconut and add coconut sugar? What type of yeast would work well? Normal brewer's yeast, wine yeast? I don't even know where to start with sake yeast.

Anyway, let me know some thoughts. I'm going to head over there today and pick up some ingredients. They even have gallon apple juice jugs which make great test fermenters ;)
Beer is like music. I don't have a favorite. I'll take a well-made example of any style!

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Coconut wine, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 10:14:28 am »
Wow, that might be interesting. You might heat it up to pasteurization temp - 180 would do - but I wouldn't boil it since coconut is going to be a pretty subtle flavor. I'm guessing that coconut sugar is just cane sugar flavored with coconut? You could opt out of that and just get lots of flaked, coconut and steep it.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 12:07:06 pm »
I'm guessing that coconut sugar is just cane sugar flavored with coconut?

I think the real stuff comes from palm trees. Wikipedia knows all:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_sugar

Now that you mention it, pasteurizing it would probably be the way to go. This could open up a whole new realm of refreshing tropical summer drinks!
Beer is like music. I don't have a favorite. I'll take a well-made example of any style!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 01:14:13 pm »
I've used coconut sugar in a beer and it came through well. 3 lbs in a big wheat wine. I think your scheme might just work.

The coconut water we buy (in 1 liter shelf stable boxes) is organic and does not contain any preservatives. 'taint cheap either but a 1 gallon batch wouldn't be to bad.

I am not sure what you would gain with the whole nut in there but it probably wouldn't hurt.

The 'water' is sterile in the package, the sugar could be disolved (boiled, sanitary) in a little plain water to avoid possible hazes from boiling the 'water'. The whole meat could be toasted in an over to sanitize.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 07:41:40 pm »
I've used coconut sugar in a beer and it came through well. 3 lbs in a big wheat wine. I think your scheme might just work.

YES! As mentioned above, this came to me in a dream last night but I was reading the forum before gonig to bed and I think I remember seeing your coconut sugar wheat wine mentioned. HAHA! The subconscious works in strange ways! Thanks for the suggestions!

Morticai, is it less fermentable than ordinary table sugar? Wikipedia is telling me it is a "low glycemic" food. Either way, I'm sure it'll make booze.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 07:51:42 pm by kraftwerk »

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 02:11:10 pm »

YES! As mentioned above, this came to me in a dream last night but I was reading the forum before gonig to bed and I think I remember seeing your coconut sugar wheat wine mentioned. HAHA! The subconscious works in strange ways! Thanks for the suggestions!

Morticai, is it less fermentable than ordinary table sugar? Wikipedia is telling me it is a "low glycemic" food. Either way, I'm sure it'll make booze.

not noticably. That one went from ~1.096 to ~1.006. I am sure it is somewhat less fermentable by weight as there is some non-sugar mass or at least it doesn't appear quite as purely crystaline as table sugar
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Jo Diesel

• Cellarman
  • BEER! Its what makes me HAPPY
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 11:36:54 am »
So what happened? I started reading and got to the point where things started to get interesting. I was going to say to grate up the coconut and roast like half of it fore a little more flavor.