Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Comet hops  (Read 2263 times)

Offline gandelf

• Assistant Brewer
  • Mill Creek Brewery, Temptation Rd
Comet hops
« on: March 26, 2013, 10:21:56 am »
Have any of you used Comet hops, what are your thoughts? I purchased a pound of 2012 whole and I'm now having second thoughts.
Religion; A contrived security blanked for a species that is currently in its adolescent phase of its evolutionary journey.

Offline travjohn92

• Cellarman
Re: Comet hops
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 08:22:40 pm »
I have never used them, but looking at the description it sounds like a hop I would enjoy.  What are you planning on using them in?
Primary: Belgian Wheat IPA, Vlad the IPAler
Secondary:  Iced Oatmeal Dunkelweizen
Kegged:  Baron Von IPWEIZEN, Dunkelweizen
Bottled: De Perverse Monnik Tripel
Next Up: Bog Nog Black IPA, Wake N Bake Clone, Breadbasket Wheat

Offline gandelf

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 05:28:01 am »
I thought comet would/could add some complexity to my hoppy ales. I have a few house APAs
and two IPAs that I'm getting a little bored with, so I want to shake them up a bit.
Religion; A contrived security blanked for a species that is currently in its adolescent phase of its evolutionary journey.

Offline droder1

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 04:40:36 pm »
why are you having second thoughts? i haven't used them yet, but am planning to do so soon. have you used them and now having second thoughts or just read about them and not as excited?

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 07:19:20 pm »
why are you having second thoughts? i haven't used them yet, but am planning to do so soon. have you used them and now having second thoughts or just read about them and not as excited?

Right.
You just need to brew a few batches using them and decide from there.  I'd never take the word of anyone on the internet on matters regarding taste, without trying the item in question myself. 

Someone's words may well talk you out of something you might really like, or even taint your perception..
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline gandelf

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 06:40:19 am »

Right.
You just need to brew a few batches using them and decide from there.  I'd never take the word of anyone on the internet on matters regarding taste, without trying the item in question myself. 

Someone's words may well talk you out of something you might really like, or even taint your perception..

That is true, but I also take into account where the information is coming from and use my plausibility meter on everything. I.e. it's one piece, not the whole enchilada.