Author Topic: Can't clean fermenter  (Read 2249 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Can't clean fermenter
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 08:21:26 AM »
I agree with trying hot water rather than cold water with the oxyclean.

Me too.  I use hot water no matter what.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline udubdawg

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 11:04:12 AM »
I use fairly hot water with quite a bit of PBW, but I would caution anyone against overnight soaks with such a solution.  This will in my experience ruin your BB.

read their study and make your own decision.  Since limiting contact time I've had zero stress cracking in the BBs.  http://www.better-bottle.com/pdf/WashingSanitizingStudy.pdf

The stuff they recommend simply does not do the job nearly as well.  Also, I get my PBW fully dissolved in a bucket before pouring into the BB.  For truly stubborn gunk I leave it longer, but make sure the fermenter is inverted so I'm not exposing the bottom to the solution (the trouble spots are usually near the top anyway, right?)

cheers--
--Michael

Online kramerog

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2013, 11:22:21 AM »
I'll try the Free & Clear Natural 2X Seventh Generation detergent if the current 5-day soak in PBW/oxyclean does not work.  Sometimes you gotta change your approach rather than doing more of the same.
Brewers of South Suburbia
Brixie's Brewers
Oak Park Homebrewers

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2013, 05:36:44 PM »
I'll try the Free & Clear Natural 2X Seventh Generation detergent if the current 5-day soak in PBW/oxyclean does not work.  Sometimes you gotta change your approach rather than doing more of the same.

I tried the 7th generation detergent and did 2 soaks before dumping it an hitting it with PBW.  I have started inverting by BB when soaking with PBW to avoid stress fractures on the bottom.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
Lehigh Valley Homebrewers

Online kramerog

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 06:41:28 AM »
Free & Clear Natural 2X Seventh Generation detergent worked like a charm (after weeklong soak).  PBW and oxyclean will remain my first and second choices. 
Brewers of South Suburbia
Brixie's Brewers
Oak Park Homebrewers

Offline Joe Sr.

• Brewmaster General
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 07:34:27 AM »
Roger - I use oxyclean and cascade (unscented) on my better bottles.  I've never really measured the amount, but I dump some in, fill it with warm/hot water and let it soak.

I've yet to encounter a crust that can withstand the soak.

Sometimes I will put an old sock on a bottle brush and give the interior a scrub, too.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline AmandaK

• Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 09:26:24 AM »
I've never met any sort of brown crusty stuff that Mark's Keg Washer and some PBW hasn't been able to tackle.

Now, the 1 year old lambic crust in a 6 gallon glass carboy... that took about 40 minutes on the Keg Washer, but it still worked without me scrubbing. Pretty cool.
Amanda Kertz
Kansas City Bier Meister
BJCP National

Redbird Brewhouse - Current Project: Full Basement Bar Build

Offline ynotbrusum

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Da mihi sis cerevisiam.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 12:49:15 PM »
I'm going to clean a Berliner Weisse that sat for Five months - hot PBW solution to start, but it is a glass carboy, so no stress fracture worries, just regular fracture worries!  I use my BB on short term fermenting beers that leave less of a mess.  I also have a Dubbel in a plastic bucket that was looking highly crudded up and is ready for racking to secondary, so PBW will get a lot of use at my house this week.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"