General Category > Beer Recipes

Check my recipe?

<< < (2/3) > >>

majorvices:
Well, if you leave the honey malt in I'd back it down to 4 oz. Personally I believe that if you have too many malts you end up with a mess - unless you are SURE what every single malt will contribute to the flavor. Pick a malt, either the special roast or honey malt, and go with it. Plus, if you have both of them, how will you know which one is contributing what to the flavor?

snowtiger87:
I agree there are too many grains in the recipe and the final product may be muddled. It you want slightly sweet just mash at a higher temperature.

reverseapachemaster:
Definitely too much going on. Based on your desired flavor profile I'd strip the grain bill down to the MO, C80, use C40 or C60 instead of C120. Only use enough of the chocolate malt to get the desired color. You could keep a little honey malt if you want it almost cloying but I think you will have enough sweetness from MO and crystal malts.

goschman:
Any updates or changes yso? I am just curious to see what happens with this one.

yso191:
First, Thank you for all of your inputs.  As it turns out I have some more time than I originally thought.  It looks like brewing this will be about 2 weeks out.  BUT, I have made some changes (see below).  I left the Honey malt in for two reasons: I have not used it before, and sweet really turns on my taste buds.  So I want this beer to be sweet but balanced with the malts and hopefully the nuttiness.

So my justification for each grain is:
MO: base
Crystal 80: nuttiness, caramel, sweetness
BlackPrinz: color
Pale Choc.: nuttiness
Honey Malt: sweetness, nuttiness

Nuthouse Brown
Southern English Brown Ale
Type: All Grain Date: 2/24/2013
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal Brewer: Steve Harrison
Boil Size: 7.50 gal Asst Brewer: 
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: A My 5 gallon