General Category > Beer Recipes

Pale Ale Recipe

(1/2) > >>

GolfBum:
I am posting this recipe here because it doesn't have the hop flavor that I am looking for. It's just seems to lack the hop punch I am looking for. Any ideas as to how to improve this recipe.

9# 2 row
12 oz. carapils
8 oz. torrified wheat
8 oz crystal 30
mashed at 152 for 60 minutes

1 oz cascade fwh
.5 oz cascade 15 min
.5 oz amarillo 15 min
.25 cascade 10 min
.25 amarillo 10 min
.5 oz cascade 0 min
.5 oz amarillo 0 min
fermented at 68 with WLP001

dry hopped for 7 days with
.5 oz cascade
.5 oz amarillo

Should I have added some hops in the 30 minute range? Added a high alpha acid hop in the fwh? any ideas would be helpful.

dannyjed:
Your hop profile is all flavor and aroma centered.  It might be lacking some firmer bitterness, maybe that's what you mean by "hop punch".  I suggest using .5 oz of hops at 60 or 45 minutes.

a10t2:
For a start I would cut the crystal malts back. 12% is just too much for any pale ale IMHO. I'd also second the suggestion to try a larger bittering addition. What's your water like?

thebigbaker:
Also try bumping up your dry hops from .5oz to a 1oz ounce each of Cascade/Amarillo for a total of 2oz.  Like others stated above, try something like Mangum at 60 mins as your bittering addition.

hoser:
Move your cascade addition from FWH to 60min or substitute a higher alpha hop for the same IBUs as a 60min addition (as Denny says, I like the "slap"), flip-flop your 15 and 10 min additions (and maybe move the 15min to 20min?), and double the 0 minute additions as well as your dry hop additions.  A 1/2 oz of cascade or some other "C" hop at 30min wouldn't hurt, maybe CTZ? 

Also, what is the approximate sulfate level of your water? 150-200ppm of SO4 may be a good starting point.

I agree with the crystal malt percentage, no more than 10%.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version