Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Making sure it carbonates?  (Read 1826 times)

Offline hschleef

• 1st Kit
Making sure it carbonates?
« on: April 22, 2013, 12:53:30 pm »
I recently brewed a brown ale which due to lack of time and work I haven't been able to bottle it. It has now sat for over a month, it is well cleared and needs to be bottled. I was just wondering if I will need to add extra yeast to it along with the priming sugar to make sure that it carbonates? And what would be the best choice in yeast? Or should I mix some of the yeast cake at the bottom back in? All of your help it appreciated!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Making sure it carbonates?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 01:04:39 pm »
Assuming it's not a high gravity beer (1.080+) it should be just fine. It doesn't hurt to add a little extra yeast at bottling though. I usually use a neutral yeast like us-05. Dry yeast is great for this because it's easier to dose out just half a package or so (and that's all you need).
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 07:40:24 am »
Or just pick up a little trub when you rack it and that will likely be enough when combined with the yeast in suspension ;)
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 07:56:26 am »
I am a very lazy brewer and I let my beer sit for a month a LOT.  Like, most of the time.  If/when you rack it to the bottling bucket, just carry over an ounce or two of the yeast cake from the bottom of the fermenter, and everything will turn out great.  Now, if you'd have let your beer sit there for two or three months, well then you need to add fresh yeast.  But one month?  No problem at all, no worries whatsoever.  The yeast is still alive down there and ready to eat your priming sugar, guaranteed.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 11:01:26 am »
Should be fine.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing