Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Victory with MO  (Read 1624 times)

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
Victory with MO
« on: August 19, 2016, 10:19:30 am »
Any thoughts on victory malt with MO.  This is for an APA.  Is it worth using with MO or bump it up a bit?

95% MO
2.5 % carapils
2.5 % victory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Victory with MO
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 10:21:45 am »
I wouldn't use it with MO personally. MO has a toasty, biscuity character on its own. Victory on top of that might give you more of that character than you wanted. If you do use it, I wouldn't use more than 3%. Just my $0.02  .

Edit - Just saw that you had 2.5% for the Victory. It's a judgement call. Either way would make a nice beer,but I just prefer to leave Biscuit or Victory out of MO beers.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 10:26:40 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 10:27:24 am »
I wouldn't use it with MO personally. MO has a toasty, biscuity character on its own. Victory on top of that might give you more of that character than you wanted. If you do use it, I wouldn't use more than 3%. Just my $0.02  .
Yea that was my concern.  I'll drop it.  Any other malt you think would go well with MO I could add just to give a little more color and character.  Still keeping in mind for an APA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 10:30:19 am »
Yea that was my concern.  I'll drop it.  Any other malt you think would go well with MO I could add just to give a little more color and character.  Still keeping in mind for an APA

English medium crystal like Simpson's is a natural, or even some C60 would work nicely. And your amount of Victory is small in your recipe. I just prefer MO without it - you might like it.
Jon H.

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 12:05:30 pm »
I think at the percentage you are using it, could be a nice accent. Kinda depends on your gravity too and how hoppy this APA will be. If its one of those bigger APA's around 1.056-1.062 it may be too much. But at 1.044-1.054 it may be a better accent. Also if your hopping the snot out of it then a lot of it will be lost anyways. I think MO could pair well with several of those mid range lovibond toasted malts including special roast, amber, brown, and even pale chocolate when used with restraint.

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 01:40:15 pm »
1% pale chocolate malt in a pale ale is a classic for English style bitters. It'll give you the color and just a hint of complexity to the MO base. My standard bitter is MO, torriffied wheat and that 1% pale chocolate. I don't see how Americanizing the hop schedule of that grist would make a bad beer.

Edit - I've made an APA with the above grist and a cascade heavy hop schedule. Delicious beer.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 01:43:00 pm by dilluh98 »