Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hoses....  (Read 9056 times)

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
Re: Hoses....
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 11:18:50 am »
I come from where all the children are slightly above average. Red is just spittin' distance across the border
and duct tape actually comes in a variety of colors because the "women" folk use it for everything.
We carry a roll of the stuff in our cosmetic bag since the TSA has banned flying with razors.

Don't mess with me Denny & Beersk
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline bazowie

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 12:00:53 pm »
So drying out hoses seems to be the bane of my freaking existence.   how do people handle this? every time we let them dry they seem to come out with spots on the inside of the house etc, which i can only assume is not very good.  We have a bottle cleaner that has a nipple that fits into hoses so we manage to get high pressure into our hoses and we sanitize the hell out of them, its just getting them dry in the end.

JEff

I take them outside and swing them over my head at warp speed :o, other than that I have the same issue.
I would blow them out with my air compressor but that would be quite unsanitary.
I will sit and listen to others and see if I can glean some better responses than mine.
In dog beers I've had 1

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Hoses....
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2013, 12:14:00 pm »
I just blow through them to get the water out.  May be unsanitary, but I'm gonna sanitize them before use anyway.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bazowie

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 12:14:47 pm »
I just blow through them to get the water out.  May be unsanitary, but I'm gonna sanitize them before use anyway.

True that!!
In dog beers I've had 1

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2013, 10:54:15 pm »
Blowing pushes bad stuff in. It would be better to put one end in a bottle of vodka and suck till you don't see spots.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I personally follow the 'don't sweat it' method, and star san on brew day.

"Freedom is temporary unless you are also Brave!" - Patriot

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2013, 11:04:36 pm »
I come from where all the children are slightly above average.
Are all of the women strong and the men good looking?
Brian
mobrewer

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2013, 06:20:06 am »
I say "Broses before..."

^ good stuff.

I dunk/spray my hoses with a little star san before hanging them up to dry. The acidic cleaner helps rinse the water (and its minerals) out so hard water spots don't form.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2013, 08:06:19 am »
My advice is don't worry about it.  Rinse them well, hang them to dry, and sanitize before using, and you'll be fine.

+1 and change the cold side hoses every couple months.
This is what I do. Hosing is cheap. If you have any question about your hosing, replace it. It's not worth losing a batch over.
Jesse

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
Hoses....
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2013, 10:17:58 am »
I shake them and then hang them over a hook or doorknob or towel rack.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 11:30:20 am »
So drying out hoses seems to be the bane of my freaking existence.   how do people handle this? every time we let them dry they seem to come out with spots on the inside of the house etc, which i can only assume is not very good.  We have a bottle cleaner that has a nipple that fits into hoses so we manage to get high pressure into our hoses and we sanitize the hell out of them, its just getting them dry in the end.

JEff

I like to take the hose outside and hold it by one end while whipping it around my head as fast as I can. Switch ends and repeat. This will get very nearly all of the water out.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline thatgeekguy

• Cellarman
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2013, 11:35:08 am »
Air compressor is very unsanitary, open the drain valve on your compressor tank if you have one and see the glorious crud that comes out....  :o
I'm only here for the beer....