Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Did something go wrong?  (Read 3562 times)

Offline lewisb13

• 1st Kit
Did something go wrong?
« on: March 30, 2013, 04:38:37 pm »
Look at the amount of trub. I know it doesn't look like much but its been fermenting for a week untouched and the bottom 4 inches of the carboy is this weird color. I've never had that much sediment at the bottom before. Its a blue moon clone partial with rice hulls and oats. I had them in a grain bag and the grain bag had no holes and was brand new. I put a tsp of coriander and 2 tbsp of sweet orange peel but I don't think either one of those ingredients has anything to do with this. 

« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 05:46:48 pm by lewisb13 »

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Did something go wrong?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 05:50:26 pm »
That is pretty normal, but is it a 5 gallon batch?  It looks like a fair amount of hop material in there.  Even so, don't sweat it.  If it is done that quickly, I have to ask how did you determine the amount of yeast to pitch?  Because it appears to be fermented out - so either you pitched a lot of yeast (which may have been perfectly correct based on OG), or you fermented on the high side, which allows it to finish quickly, but produces more fuels and other off flavors...test the FG 3 times over the next week and taste it.  It may be perfectly good and then you just have a big trub cake.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline hellbound

• Cellarman
  • Beer Saved The World
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 06:47:17 pm »
+1 looks fairly normal..

What yeast did you use? just looks like it had a lot of yeast cells and it flocculated like all hell..
Dave
Maltose Falcon, San Fernando Valley Beer Lover
"Been drinking all the beer I can find since 1982"

Offline lewisb13

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 08:44:04 pm »
Thanks for the replies! I think it just freaked me out because I've done 30 batches and I've never seen more than about an inch of mass at the bottom. The pic is deceiving because its a solid 4 inches. I did use liquid yeast for the first time. It was called "wyeast" or something like that. You bust the pouch inside the pouch and have to wait a few hours if that rings a bell with anyone.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 08:50:52 pm »
Rings a bell for sure. Did you do a starter or just pitch what was in it

"Freedom is temporary unless you are also Brave!" - Patriot

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 06:09:17 am »
It looks pretty normal to me.  I have a batch now and then that will settle out like that.  If it is 4 inches thick you may want to think about going to a secondary with it just to let what you will transfer settle out. 

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline lewisb13

• 1st Kit
Re: Re: Did something go wrong?
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 08:10:20 am »
Rings a bell for sure. Did you do a starter or just pitch what was in it

"Freedom is temporary unless you are also Brave!" - Patriot

Yeah I just dumped the contents of the whole yeast bag in there. Definitely much more violent of a reaction than I'm used to. Pitched on Sunday and Wednesday night it was still bubbling like a fish tank aerator!

Offline lewisb13

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 08:13:02 am »
It looks pretty normal to me.  I have a batch now and then that will settle out like that.  If it is 4 inches thick you may want to think about going to a secondary with it just to let what you will transfer settle out. 

Paul

Im gonna transfer tonight into secondary so I'll let y'all know how t goes. Appreciate everyone's replies

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 09:00:32 am »

Paul

Im gonna transfer tonight into secondary so I'll let y'all know how t goes. Appreciate everyone's replies

don't transfer until it's done. secondary is for settling if anything. give it another week and then trasfer to secondary.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 08:45:37 am »
don't transfer until it's done. secondary is for settling if anything. give it another week and then trasfer to secondary.

+1
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 12:25:15 pm »

+1

That what I meant (even though I didn't really say it).   :-[

Definitely give it time in the primary to finish.  If it doesn't settle enough by the time it is done, move it to a secondary to let it clear.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 02:39:38 pm »
You can't expect the yeast to finish the job after you've removed them. Leave it on the yeast and let them finish the job.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958