Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: is there an easier way?  (Read 7065 times)

Offline fugglupagus

• 1st Kit
Re: is there an easier way?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 03:56:44 pm »
treat malt extract like you would flour.  mix it with cold water slowly until you get a clump free paste.

I'll definitely try that.  DME hates me.  Thanks
Keezer:  It's a big box that dispenses beer. No matter how well or sh$%&y it's built, it will be beautiful.

Offline skrag6713

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 04:09:51 pm »
What would be the problem with waiting until you turn the flame off completely and then adding the extract?  Your hops are done boiling and the extract will start the chilling process.  Even if it drops 15-20 degrees, that is well above pasteurization temps.

that sounds like it would solve a lot of the issues.  i'll try it that way on my next brew.  thanks!!

Offline bronxbrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 07:20:51 am »
For late additions i always  mix my extract "DME,LME" in a pitcher of water and then add. Reduces the risk of scorching.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 09:51:45 am »
When doing any sort of extract addition during the boil it is just as easy to turn the heat down or off to avoid scorching. Also, adding extract at flameout works really well as Tom suggests. 
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis