General Category > Pimp My System

1 BBL garage system with automation

<< < (7/13) > >>

Jo Diesel:
Have you thought about hooking up with a local Pub? There are a lot of Brew Pubs popping up around here. As long as they are serving food and being inspected there is no other licensing required. Not sure what they are doing to retail as some are selling growlers. Personally I think there is a market for 5 gal kegs. Could sell premium beer and still be aforadable

bentwood:

--- Quote from: Jo Diesel on May 22, 2013, 07:36:02 AM ---Have you thought about hooking up with a local Pub? There are a lot of Brew Pubs popping up around here. As long as they are serving food and being inspected there is no other licensing required. Not sure what they are doing to retail as some are selling growlers. Personally I think there is a market for 5 gal kegs. Could sell premium beer and still be aforadable

--- End quote ---

At this size there really isn't any money in it. You don't break even till you hit 7BBL and only if you serve food which means kitchen equipment and staff. Bottling or kegging the break even happens at 17 BBL. Tight now it's a hobby and I have a small but devoted following and all the beer I can drink. Life is good.

micsager:

--- Quote from: bentwood on May 22, 2013, 07:53:26 PM ---
--- Quote from: Jo Diesel on May 22, 2013, 07:36:02 AM ---Have you thought about hooking up with a local Pub? There are a lot of Brew Pubs popping up around here. As long as they are serving food and being inspected there is no other licensing required. Not sure what they are doing to retail as some are selling growlers. Personally I think there is a market for 5 gal kegs. Could sell premium beer and still be aforadable

--- End quote ---

At this size there really isn't any money in it. You don't break even till you hit 7BBL and only if you serve food which means kitchen equipment and staff. Bottling or kegging the break even happens at 17 BBL. Tight now it's a hobby and I have a small but devoted following and all the beer I can drink. Life is good.

--- End quote ---

My wife and I are fully licensed by the feds and state for our brewery.  Right now, we are only brewing ten gallon batches, and the hobby makes us money.  Next month we'll be moving a 1bbl system, but still pretty manual.  And all our profits go right back into brewing toys.  We jsut recently build a walk in fermentation room with cooling and heating for good temperature control. 

Here is a samll brewery in Portlan, OR that brews on a 1bbl system and they've been in business for 20 years.  They must be doing something right. 

Depending on the salary of day your job, and your market, you've got everything you need to do it.  (except you can't brew commercially in your garage unless you block the door to the house, if connected. if that's a seperate building, you are golden)

klickitat jim:
Seems like overhead would play into it. Say a guy inherits his grandfather's old bakery, which is next door to great western malt, and his cousin manages Haas in Yakima. .. odds are it would be easier to show a profit than a guy you starts with nothing but a big loan.

In any event I will never make money brewing. That's a certainty.

micsager:

--- Quote from: klickitat jim on May 23, 2013, 01:11:36 PM ---Seems like overhead would play into it. Say a guy inherits his grandfather's old bakery, which is next door to great western malt, and his cousin manages Haas in Yakima. .. odds are it would be easier to show a profit than a guy you starts with nothing but a big loan.

In any event I will never make money brewing. That's a certainty.

--- End quote ---

No doubt you are correct.  We already had a 40X60 shop that we converted tot he brewery.  While not next door to Great Western or Haas, we are only about 100 miles away from either.  (for us, Puterbaugh Farms in Yakima is a better way to go)  And, a friend owns another brewery in town with a tap room, that has given us two "guest" taps.  (as long as we can keep them full)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version