General Category > Hop Growing

growing hops hydroponically

(1/2) > >>

travjohn92:
Has anyone had any experience with growing hops in a hydroponic environment? My neighbor has a hydropnic system for growing flowers and vegetables and he said we could experiment with some rhizomes.  Before I engage in it just want to know if there is any feedback from the forum.

hopfenundmalz:
Never done it, but hops are said to like dry feet. That is, well drained soil so they don't have root rot, or get a fungal infection (that may be a problem with hydroponics).

corkybstewart:
Several years ago a guy started a thread on realbeer.com about his attempt to hydroponically grow hops.  After a long growing season he abandoned the project as a complete failure.  He managed to get a few sickly leaves to grow but that was the extent of it.  Part of the problem is having a room 20' tall for them to grow in.

euge:
Hydroponics can be done outside...

kraftwerk:

--- Quote from: euge on March 29, 2013, 02:24:45 PM ---Hydroponics can be done outside...

--- End quote ---

Yep. Here in CO lots of people grow the dank outdoors with hydro. I got my mom to plant hops in her garden last year and they didn't do much. I expect to maybe get a harvest in the 3rd year.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version