General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

Hop stand for increased flavor/aroma

<< < (2/5) > >>

maxieboy:

--- Quote from: crabber on November 09, 2009, 12:32:05 PM ---Partially cooling the wort sounds interesting.  That was actually my first thought when I first read this post yesterday.  It must change the way the hops are isomerized.  Is the effect similar to FWH?  Where did you get the idea?

--- End quote ---

My understanding is the temp drop is to prevent isomerization(and resultant extra bitterness) and maximize hop flavor and aroma by not driving off aromatics in a boil. TimO suggested the recipe several years ago as an excellent APA to try but I didn't do it until recently. I would think this technique yields more hop flavor and aroma than FWHing. I don't have FWH data points, so someone else with experience with both techniques would have to weigh in. Cheers...

denny:

--- Quote from: maxieboy on November 09, 2009, 03:45:36 AM ---It works. A couple of months ago, I did a Shark's Tooth Pacific Pale Ale clone that calls for a flameout hop addition, cool wort to 180* and hold for 30 min. No IC here, added flameout hops, let stand 5 min, then heat exchanged(10g, 10 min.). Finished beer had killer hop flavor and aroma with pale ale bitterness. Awesome brew! Here: http://www.tastybrew.com/newrcp/detail/104

--- End quote ---

That recipe comes from my good buddy, Bob Girolamo.  He used to own Shark's Tooth Brewing Co.  More of his killer recipes are archived at http://www.tomandteri.com/brewery/bob_recipes.htm

maxieboy:
Cool, thanks for the link! Sure to be another gem there. The next best thing to brewing and cooking is checking out recipes! I know I'm not the only one who enjoys sitting with cookbooks and beer recipe sources searching for the next great find! Cheers...

mcbrew:
Wow, thanks for posting that recipe source Denny!

crabber:
Well this thread has gotten my creative juices flowing.  I've been wanting to build a hopback for a while.  I wonder what would happen if you chilled the wort to 180 or so with an immersion chiller, then ran it through a hopback to a counterflow chiller?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version