Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Little help with Oatmeal Stout  (Read 3260 times)

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Little help with Oatmeal Stout
« on: March 18, 2010, 06:55:03 pm »
Ok, I've got an Oatmeal Stout that has taken a gold but it seems to have room for improvement.  In the recent MCAB, the comments included...

Tasty beer that is easy to drink but may fall closer to a dry stout than an oatmeal stout.  Try to increase oat character.  Otherwise flawess.  Just kind of misses style but good to drink.

...and from another scoresheet...

Very nice beer that is very drinkable that seems to be missing the mark on a couple of style aspects. No noticeable flaws or off flavors.  Nice job with process.

...so it sounds like my Oatmeal Stout could be more "oatmealy".  I already use a whole (18oz) container of oven-toasted 5-minute oats in the mash for a 5-gallon batch.  Should I use two containers of oats?  Does Oat Malt add much oatmeal character?  Other ideas?

Joe

Offline brewchez

• 1st Kit
    • Brew Dudes
Re: Little help with Oatmeal Stout
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 06:03:58 am »
I generally use a pound and a half of oatmeal in my O.Stout.  I use traditional flaked oats from quaker, not quick oats.  Though it might not matter much.  I like to use 1.5lbs (24oz).  I toast half a pound of them in the oven.
Oatmeal doesn't really taste like much, but judges seem to think it does.
So look to somewhere else in your grain bill to help out.  I'd add a little biscuit or victory malt (0.5lb).  And also bump up your chocolate malt slightly too if you are using any.
These two things will help increase the desire to have some nutty, toasty flavors.
-Mike

Keep it warm, keep it clean, keep it covered.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Little help with Oatmeal Stout
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 07:11:09 am »
I generally use a pound and a half of oatmeal in my O.Stout.  I use traditional flaked oats from quaker, not quick oats.  Though it might not matter much.  I like to use 1.5lbs (24oz).  I toast half a pound of them in the oven.

Yeah, the 5-minute oats I use are the same thing as flaked oats.  It's the 1-minute oats that are "quick oats".

Oatmeal doesn't really taste like much, but judges seem to think it does.
So look to somewhere else in your grain bill to help out.  I'd add a little biscuit or victory malt (0.5lb).

No biscuit or victory although the base malt is all Marris Otter.  Might have to try that, though.

And also bump up your chocolate malt slightly too if you are using any.
These two things will help increase the desire to have some nutty, toasty flavors.

Sorry, guess it would help to include the recipe.  It's on the wiki on this site...

http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/SugarRunOatmealStout

...so you can see there's already 10oz chocolate and 6oz roast barley.

Thanks.
Joe