Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why I run Windows  (Read 12310 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Why I run Windows
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 10:12:05 am »
What can I say? Use Linux and most of your pc woes will evaporate.

Linux would offer you vodka and Red Bull.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 10:12:46 am »
Wait, does Linux "work" because you can't run any programs on it, so there's nothing to go wrong?

Yeah, I think so.  ;)

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
    • http://www.barfclub.org
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 10:15:52 am »
You can run ANY windows program on Linux. It is ok to fear the unknown ;)
Michael P Mitchem
Beer and Ale Research Foundation (B.A.R.F.)
AHA Member since 2011

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2013, 10:16:59 am »
You can run ANY windows program on Linux. It is ok to fear the unknown ;)

I have a lot of pro audio stuff that AFAIK won't run on Linux.  Too hardware specific.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 10:46:37 am »
It's not really just windows (in fact, it's probably more the fact that I have an HP) it's everything on the win platform. For instance, on Google Chrome my Gmail doesn't work properly. It works fine on Safari. On my printer at home (which is an HP as well) I have not been able to get my HP PC to work wirelessly. But my iPad and Mac works just fine.

Just weird stuff like that that makes having a PC an unpleasant experience.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2013, 11:05:31 am »
Many of the companies I support are moving to Macs, especially since we are moving them to the cloud and they can get rid of their Windows infrastructure. 

Just about all systems at my house are Mac based and the only reason I have my Windows systems at home is due to the fact that I support so many companies and businesses that rely on Windows systems.  Actually, when I'm using remote desktop to troublshoot a system or network, I'm on a Mac.  With Windows 8, it just seems like it takes 1-2 more steps to do anything compared to Windows 7 and XP.  If mine started asking me if I would like a beer, then maybe I would like it a little more ;D
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2013, 11:21:36 am »
I have figured out how to run my ProTools software and hardware on my Linux box after a few tweaks here and there. and there lies the real challenge - since Linux is developed by users, sometimes you have to build what you need. I love Mac as well, but it sits on top of UNIX so it has the good system underneath. But I have really grown to love Linux. I am a network engineer by trade so the Linux OS (Red Hat flavor primarily) is really great. Windows is ok, nothing really wrong with it, but there is so much control with Linux that it really makes it stand out for me.

Nothing like laying down a whole mess of good bluegrass down on a Linux box, am I right??? :)
Michael P Mitchem
AHA Member since 2011

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2013, 11:54:31 am »
I have figured out how to run my ProTools software and hardware on my Linux box after a few tweaks here and there. and there lies the real challenge - since Linux is developed by users, sometimes you have to build what you need. I love Mac as well, but it sits on top of UNIX so it has the good system underneath. But I have really grown to love Linux. I am a network engineer by trade so the Linux OS (Red Hat flavor primarily) is really great. Windows is ok, nothing really wrong with it, but there is so much control with Linux that it really makes it stand out for me.

Nothing like laying down a whole mess of good bluegrass down on a Linux box, am I right??? :)

Wow, getting PT to run is a major accomplishment!  Good job.  Fortunately for me, Win7 works flawlessly on all my machines so I have no incentive to do anything else.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2013, 12:10:25 pm »
yeah it took a little bit of work. And like you said, if you are content with what you are running, then there is no real reason to change things up. Same can be said about brewing. if it ain't broke - don't go screwing with it!
Michael P Mitchem
AHA Member since 2011

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2013, 04:53:38 pm »
My ubuntu 10.04 LTS has run 24/7 flawlessly for three years on a dated generic toshiba laptop. Extremely frequent updates- security or otherwise are provided for free as was the OS. Linux is a real contender against MS and OSX and can run without a reboot for a long long time and there are no problems with viruses.

Denny- back to the spirit of ubuntu and booze the drink would be coffee... So maybe a Black Russian!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2013, 08:15:50 pm »
Linux for me too.
I run Fedora now but I also run Win XP in Virtual Machine for Quick Books.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2013, 06:27:30 am »
You Sillies. Just install the program with Wine :)
Michael P Mitchem
AHA Member since 2011

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2013, 07:30:41 am »
I ran XP in vmware under linux. It performed better and more solidly than if it had been installed as the main OS. Felt kinda dirty as if I had been doing something wrong. ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2013, 09:34:35 am »
What really amazes me is to hear people say that they have issues with Windows, especially Win7.  I have run every build of windows since before Win3, all of them heavily used in a technical business situation.  I have also run Macs for quite a while and taken care of Linux networks.  I have never found Win to be any more troublesome or difficult to administer than any of the alternatives.  I have no problems with crashing or viruses.  I have no doubt, based on what I've heard, that others do have issues.  My point is that it's certainly possible to have an efficient, trouble free system based on windows.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2013, 10:00:00 am »
In my limited experience as the extended family help desk, the biggest problem people seem to have is that they are running an old version of windows and trying to install new programs that are not as backwards compatible as they could be.  So they blame windows for not being able to handle it when the problem is the new program is configured for an updated OS and nearly all of the RAM than they have installed.
Tom Schmidlin