Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: first wort hops  (Read 2587 times)

Offline aaspinall

• Cellarman
first wort hops
« on: April 08, 2013, 07:16:36 pm »
I'm following a recipe that calls for first wort hops. Do I leave those hops in throughout the boil, or should I remove them before hand?

Offline paul

• Cellarman
Re: first wort hops
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 07:18:45 pm »
Leave 'em in.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 09:53:52 pm »
Ditto.  I usually put my FWH addition in the boil kettle even before I transfer the wort into it, then it stay throughout the boil and cooling.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 05:04:41 am »
+1.  Leave em in.
Jon H.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 01:16:15 pm »
Really makes a person wonder what the difference is eh?  Only thing I can figure is some of the oils/acids get bound by hot break as it forms.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
first wort hops
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 02:04:59 pm »
Really makes a person wonder what the difference is eh?  Only thing I can figure is some of the oils/acids get bound by hot break as it forms.

From what I've been able to find t, it happens even before that.  The hot wort in the kettle before you even start boiling is supposedly what "fixes" the flavor compounds.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 02:14:57 pm »
One other thing, you want long contact time in of the FWH with the 160 - 180F wort. 45 minutes to an hour, with more like an hour being better. This is a similar time to what one does for a late hop stand after he boil.

Some think the hop oil compounds will react with the sugars, survive the boil, and then the yeast will consume the sugars. Don't know if that is true, but I have read that a few places.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline robdacook

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 03:22:17 pm »
Been reading a lot about this lately, can anyone describe what the difference is in flavor/aroma for a noob who hasn't tried this FWH method yet?