Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash-in  (Read 11340 times)

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
Re: Mash-in
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2013, 11:46:33 am »
There are a lot of factors which affect efficiency. 15 min fly sparge is gonna be a big part of it. Consider an hour a quick fly sparge. Going for Pliny right off the bat, very ambitious. Still it should be around 6.8%, so a solid ipa. Don't let beersmith guide you, you need to guide it. Don't forget that crush is important also. What was the temp after the mash?  There are just too many variables at play. Playing with them is part of the fun.

Not a big deal, you should have a nice ipa to drink.  I would make a couple beers shooting for 1.060 or so but planning 10 points either way. You really need to know your own system efficiency, before you can start targeting anything. 

cornershot

« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2013, 11:48:12 am »
How much dextrose/ simple sugar?

Offline donsmitty

• Assistant Brewer
  • Colchester, CT
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2013, 11:56:09 am »
There are a lot of factors which affect efficiency. 15 min fly sparge is gonna be a big part of it. Consider an hour a quick fly sparge. Going for Pliny right off the bat, very ambitious. Still it should be around 6.8%, so a solid ipa. Don't let beersmith guide you, you need to guide it. Don't forget that crush is important also. What was the temp after the mash?  There are just too many variables at play. Playing with them is part of the fun.

Not a big deal, you should have a nice ipa to drink.  I would make a couple beers shooting for 1.060 or so but planning 10 points either way. You really need to know your own system efficiency, before you can start targeting anything.

We did a Pliny clone from extract kit and it was ready to drink on brew day.  That one came in at 7.9% and is excellent.  The one we brewed on Friday was all-grain and we used the recipe from Vinnie C. that was in Zymurgy in 2009.  Thanks for the advice.

How much dextrose/ simple sugar?

12.0 oz. of Corn Sugar.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2013, 12:10:28 pm »
There was a corrected recipe printed next issue.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline donsmitty

• Assistant Brewer
  • Colchester, CT
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2013, 12:27:05 pm »

Cool, I'll be watching for it.  Next up on our radar is another Russian River clone - R2H56. 

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2013, 01:30:49 pm »

Cool, I'll be watching for it.  Next up on our radar is another Russian River clone - R2H56.
Issue after you found your Pliny recipe in, 2009 or 2010. Not this next one.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline donsmitty

• Assistant Brewer
  • Colchester, CT
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2013, 01:59:53 pm »

Issue after you found your Pliny recipe in, 2009 or 2010. Not this next one.

Gottcha.  It came from July/August 2009.