General Category > All Grain Brewing

Mashing and Fly Sparring

(1/5) > >>

donsmitty:
I just completed my first all-grain brewing and did a fly sparging.  14.45 lb of grain were in the tun along with 4.75 gal of water.  My sparge water was 4 gallons.  Given my target was to have 6 gallons pre-boil, was I OK using the volumes I did?  And, how long would you take to complete the sparging?  The numbers were from calculations done in BeerSmith.  Reading John Palmer's book, he says to use 2 qts/lb for mashing.  If I did that I would be putting in 7 gallons into the tun and it wouldn't leave much for sparging.  I'm interested in knowing what you do for calculating volume for your mash tun as well as sparging.     

denny:
Me, I make life easy and batch sparge.  I mash around 1.5-2 qt./lb. , run that off, and sparge with enough to get my boil volume.  Saves me an hour over fly sparging and my efficiency is every bit as good.

donsmitty:

--- Quote from: denny on March 31, 2013, 12:55:12 PM ---Me, I make life easy and batch sparge.  I mash around 1.5-2 qt./lb. , run that off, and sparge with enough to get my boil volume.  Saves me an hour over fly sparging and my efficiency is every bit as good.

--- End quote ---

How do you decide if it's 1.5 or 2 qt./lb.?  Should the mash and sparge volumes be close to 50/50? 

klickitat jim:
I'm simple, and just try to be 1.5-2 with no thought as to why. I guesstimate my Sparge water amount for boil volume using one gallon per ten pounds grain for absorption

"Freedom is temporary unless you are also Brave!" - Patriot

denny:

--- Quote from: donsmitty on March 31, 2013, 12:58:06 PM ---
--- Quote from: denny on March 31, 2013, 12:55:12 PM ---Me, I make life easy and batch sparge.  I mash around 1.5-2 qt./lb. , run that off, and sparge with enough to get my boil volume.  Saves me an hour over fly sparging and my efficiency is every bit as good.

--- End quote ---

How do you decide if it's 1.5 or 2 qt./lb.?  Should the mash and sparge volumes be close to 50/50?

--- End quote ---

Not the volumes themselves, but the runoffs from the mash and sparge should be close to the same volume.  It's not a big deal if they aren't (within a gal. of each other is usually fine), but the closer the better.  And keep in mind that this is for batch sparging.  Might be different for fly sparging.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version