General Category > All Grain Brewing

Mashing and Fly Sparring

<< < (5/5)

bluesman:
Lately, I've been doing single infusion mashing with a fly sparge. It works well on my single tier brewstand. My efficiency has improved from batch sparging, and I don't have to drain the first runnings. When the mash is converted, I immediately start the fly sparge. I like to split the volume between the mash/sparge. The sparge takes about 20min for a 5 gallon batch.

donsmitty:

--- Quote from: bluesman on April 03, 2013, 06:21:07 AM ---Lately, I've been doing single infusion mashing with a fly sparge. It works well on my single tier brewstand. My efficiency has improved from batch sparging, and I don't have to drain the first runnings. When the mash is converted, I immediately start the fly sparge. I like to split the volume between the mash/sparge. The sparge takes about 20min for a 5 gallon batch.

--- End quote ---

OK, so can I assume you vorlauf first and then start your fly sparge and start draining into your kettle?

blatz:

--- Quote from: donsmitty on April 03, 2013, 06:27:41 AM ---
--- Quote from: bluesman on April 03, 2013, 06:21:07 AM ---Lately, I've been doing single infusion mashing with a fly sparge. It works well on my single tier brewstand. My efficiency has improved from batch sparging, and I don't have to drain the first runnings. When the mash is converted, I immediately start the fly sparge. I like to split the volume between the mash/sparge. The sparge takes about 20min for a 5 gallon batch.

--- End quote ---

OK, so can I assume you vorlauf first and then start your fly sparge and start draining into your kettle?

--- End quote ---

if you recirculate mash (HERMs) like I do and I believe Ron also does, you are essentially vorlaufing the whole time during the mash, so you can start right away.

bluesman:

--- Quote from: blatz on April 03, 2013, 06:46:42 AM ---
--- Quote from: donsmitty on April 03, 2013, 06:27:41 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

if you recirculate mash (HERMs) like I do and I believe Ron also does, you are essentially vorlaufing the whole time during the mash, so you can start right away.

--- End quote ---

+1

This is my method as well. Heat/recirculate to clear wort (vorlauf) prior to sparge.

denny:

--- Quote from: donsmitty on April 02, 2013, 06:41:07 PM ---My next recipe calls for a 2 step batch sparge.  The first is using 1.5 gal. and the second calls for 4 gal. all at 160.0 F.  Is there a need for this 2 step batch sparge.  Can't I just put in 5.5 gal. and do one?

--- End quote ---

Yep.  The only reason to do 2 steps is if your cooler isn't big enough to fit all the water at once.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version