General Category > All Grain Brewing

Mashing and Fly Sparring

<< < (2/5) > >>

cornershot:
For fly sparging, I use 1.5 quarts/#, less if i need to free up mash tun volume for more grain. I collect runnings until I get my preboil volume unless the gravity of my runnings gets below 1.015 or pH gets below 5.6(never has). My preboil volume is my keg volume(5 gal)+ fermentation loss(1/2 gal)+ trub loss(1/2 gal)+ boil loss(1.2 gallon/hour). So, for my system,  for a dipa w/ a 90 minute boil, I'd collect 8 gal. Since I fly sparged with 2 gallons more than you, I will have extracted more sugar.
On your Beersmith, under Mash Details, it tells you mash tun volume needed.

donsmitty:

--- Quote from: zimaclone on March 31, 2013, 01:55:04 PM ---For fly sparging, I use 1.5 quarts/#, less if i need to free up mash tun volume for more grain. I collect runnings until I get my preboil volume unless the gravity of my runnings gets below 1.015 or pH gets below 5.6(never has). My preboil volume is my keg volume(5 gal)+ fermentation loss(1/2 gal)+ trub loss(1/2 gal)+ boil loss(1.2 gallon/hour). So, for my system,  for a dipa w/ a 90 minute boil, I'd collect 8 gal. Since I fly sparged with 2 gallons more than you, I will have extracted more sugar.
On your Beersmith, under Mash Details, it tells you mash tun volume needed.

--- End quote ---

Under Brew Steps it says to mash-in with 19.06 qts. which is 4 3/4 gal. and to fly sparge with 4.01 gal.  On the Mash tab it show mash volume needed as 5.89 gal.  So what should I have used? 

cornershot:
Sounds about right. You have a 10 gal tun and since you're putting sparge water on top just as fast as you're draining wort out, tun volume isn't an issue. Just to be clear, based on your wording in your other thread, did you drain the first runnings completely before fly sparging?

hopfenundmalz:

--- Quote from: denny on March 31, 2013, 01:21:54 PM ---
--- Quote from: donsmitty on March 31, 2013, 12:58:06 PM ---
--- Quote from: denny on March 31, 2013, 12:55:12 PM ---Me, I make life easy and batch sparge.  I mash around 1.5-2 qt./lb. , run that off, and sparge with enough to get my boil volume.  Saves me an hour over fly sparging and my efficiency is every bit as good.

--- End quote ---

How do you decide if it's 1.5 or 2 qt./lb.?  Should the mash and sparge volumes be close to 50/50?

--- End quote ---

Not the volumes themselves, but the runoffs from the mash and sparge should be close to the same volume.  It's not a big deal if they aren't (within a gal. of each other is usually fine), but the closer the better.  And keep in mind that this is for batch sparging.  Might be different for fly sparging.

--- End quote ---
Someday I need to get the blue cooler and see how much time it saves. Right now I fly sparge for about 45 minutes, but my wort is at or near a boil when I am done with the sparge.  While you drain fast and have to wait for the wort to come to a boil, right?

repo:

--- Quote from: donsmitty on March 31, 2013, 02:13:46 PM ---
Under Brew Steps it says to mash-in with 19.06 qts. which is 4 3/4 gal. and to fly sparge with 4.01 gal.  On the Mash tab it show mash volume needed as 5.89 gal.  So what should I have used?

--- End quote ---

Beersmith  is saying the you need a tun capable of holding 5.89 gallons which is what the 4 3/4 gallons and grain will amount to volume wise.  It can be very confusing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version