General Category > All Grain Brewing

Lid on partially?

(1/4) > >>

vdeckard:
My 10 gallon brew pot is more on the short and squat side.  I am wondering if I could leave the lid on half way to prevent excessive evaporation.  Would I have DMS issues if the pot is halfway covered?

davidgzach:

--- Quote from: vdeckard on April 02, 2013, 07:46:03 AM ---My 10 gallon brew part is more on the short and squat side.  I am wondering if I could leave the lid on half way to prevent excessive evaporation.  Would I have DMS issues if the pot is halfway covered?

--- End quote ---

You very well could have a DMS problem by leaving the lid on halfway.  I would try to adjust volume accordingly.  Start with more than expected and boil longer if necessary.

Dave

denny:
You'll be fine leaving your kettle partially covered as long as there's enough of an opening for steam to escape.  The ROT is to leave at least 15% of the kettle uncovered.

hamiltont:
I leave my lid partially on for the same reason.  Plus I find that I can keep the same rolling boil with less heat. Win/Win. When the chiller goes in the last 15 minutes I do take the lid off completely and increase the boil a little. I can't tell you if it matters or not but it works for me. YMMV. Cheers!!!

reverseapachemaster:
If you think DMS will be an issue leaving the lid on partially take a look at almost every commercial system and see how it is entirely covered except for the part where the chimney is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version