General Category > All Grain Brewing

Lid on partially?

<< < (2/4) > >>

erockrph:
Leaving the lid partially on may not be enough on its own to minimize evaporation. I routinely leave the lid partially on my kettle to help reach and maintain a boil with larger volumes on my stovetop. I find that I actually get more boiloff with the lid partway on than fully off. I assume that this is because I can maintain a more vigorous boil. You will likely have to ease off on the throttle on your burner in conjunction with leaving the lid partially on to see a significant reduction in your evaporation rate.

davidgzach:
I'm lid averse after having some DMS problems in a Kolsch.  However, I was boiling for 60 minutes and switched to 90 minute boils.  Floor malted BoPils.  Do you think it's the same as above with this as well?

erockrph:

--- Quote from: davidgzach on April 02, 2013, 11:41:28 AM ---I'm lid averse after having some DMS problems in a Kolsch.  However, I was boiling for 60 minutes and switched to 90 minute boils.  Floor malted BoPils.  Do you think it's the same as above with this as well?

--- End quote ---

I just tried the Floor malted BoPils for the first time. 90 minute boil (and not a super strong one, either), lid 2/3 on, and no DMS that I can detect.

davidgzach:
Good to know.  I like Denny's 15% Rot too.  May have to consider this.....

Dave

donsmitty:

--- Quote from: denny on April 02, 2013, 08:20:55 AM ---You'll be fine leaving your kettle partially covered as long as there's enough of an opening for steam to escape.  The ROT is to leave at least 15% of the kettle uncovered.

--- End quote ---

What is ROT? Sorry, I'm new to all of this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version