Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Experience with hop extract/oil?  (Read 1512 times)

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
Experience with hop extract/oil?
« on: April 01, 2013, 03:00:30 pm »
So I brewed a double IPA two weeks ago and I think I lost a whole lot of hop bitterness due to boil over. It was a big batch and I'm thinking much of the hoppiness went into the fires during boil. Anyway, I tasted it today and get very little bitterness. Gravity is still at 1.008 and hoping it will dry out a little more. Just wondering if hop extract is an option at this point, as everything else about the beer is fine. If so, how does one go about "back-bittering" a beer?
Beer is like music. I don't have a favorite. I'll take a well-made example of any style!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Experience with hop extract/oil?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 07:56:13 am »
I've never tried it, but you need to use an isomerized hop extract to add bitterness to a beer. Something like a Hop Shot still needs to be boiled to isomerize the AA's. The only product I'm aware of that is available to homebrewers is pretty damn expensive and only good for 2-3 months when opened, so I'm not sure if it is worth your $ to go that route. (link)

I suppose you could boil some Hop Shot in water for an hour or so to isomerize it. Not sure how that will turn out, but it's an option.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer