Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Please critique my Mole Spiced Beer grain bill  (Read 2212 times)

Offline vdeckard

• 1st Kit
Please critique my Mole Spiced Beer grain bill
« on: April 02, 2013, 09:21:54 am »
My goal is a beer that has lots of chocolate and caramel notes, a nice full mouth feel, fruity flavors of dried Guajillo and Ancho peppers and just a hint of warmth from the dried chipotles.  It will be a high gravity beer, I would like to condition it and have it ready for Thanksgiving 2013.  Please critique my recipe - any suggestions would be appreciated. 
For a 5.25 Gallon batch with 68% efficiency
1.093 OG

16 lbs Pale Malt 2 row Belg.
1 lb Special B
8 oz Caramel Crystal 80L
8 oz Chocolate Malt
8 oz malted Oats
8 oz Mexican Sugar (from evap. Sugar Cane)
1 oz Target pellets 60 min
Wyeast Trappist High Gravity # 3787
1/4 oz Guajillo 15 min
1/4 oz Ancho 15 min
5 oz unsweetened Cocoa Powder 15 min
1/2 minced Vanilla Bean 15 min
1/4 oz Guajillo 5 min
1/4 oz Ancho 5 min

1/2 oz Chipotles in Secondary, tasting every day until I have the right amount of heat.

I will soak vanilla and cinnamon in Vodka in individual containers, and add these flavors if necessary in secondary until I get the desired flavor
It doesn't take a beard to brew good beer.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Please critique my Mole Spiced Beer grain bill
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 11:11:07 am »
I wish I knew more about the recipes for these beers to help you out. I generally love these mole beers. I think you're on the right track as far as the grain bill but maybe the special B is a bit too much. I'd take out the vanilla addition at 15 minutes because I think you'll just boil out the flavor and aroma. I'd add it at knockout instead.

I seem to think there was a mole stout recipe in BYO or Zymurgy not too long ago that might provide some guidance. You could try emailing some of the breweries that make that style. New Belgium is hit or miss about responding to requests. Ska and Copper Kettle also make great versions and might be willing to share some details.

Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 12:00:06 pm »
I don't think you'll get anything different out of peppers added at 5 and 10 minutes vs all at once. Are you going to rehydrate them first? I would.

I like the crystal to balance the heat with sweetness.  I also would not add any vanilla until secondary.  Cocoa powder will clog screens if you have any in your kettle - just a warning.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 12:04:57 pm »
I wish I knew more about the recipes for these beers to help you out. I generally love these mole beers. I think you're on the right track as far as the grain bill but maybe the special B is a bit too much. I'd take out the vanilla addition at 15 minutes because I think you'll just boil out the flavor and aroma. I'd add it at knockout instead.

I seem to think there was a mole stout recipe in BYO or Zymurgy not too long ago that might provide some guidance. You could try emailing some of the breweries that make that style. New Belgium is hit or miss about responding to requests. Ska and Copper Kettle also make great versions and might be willing to share some details.

Yeah I would try reaching out to breweries to get some additional input. NB was very helpful to me when I inquired about Sunshine Wheat. I don't know how helpful Copper Kettle is but there Mexican Chocolate Stout (or whatever it is called) is amazingly good
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 12:08:26 pm »
I can't speak to the peppers specifically, but a pound of Special B seems like a lot - and I really like Special B. If it were me I'd drop it down to 6 ounces or so. If you want to add back a little more of that rummy/dark fruit character you could use some Dark Candi Syrup as well.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer