Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Lagers  (Read 5736 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
First Lagers
« on: April 02, 2013, 12:41:30 pm »
On the 24th I brewed my first lagers. A 1.050 Bohemian and a 1.045 American. I did three-quart starters three days prior. I cold crashed the wort over night at 45 deg, racked off the cold break to fermentors. Crashed and decant the starters and pitched. Set me temp at 50. Yesterday they hit 1.020 so I'm on the 60 degree rest now. They are clean pretty and smell great so far.

So, I am assuming they will finish in a week at about 1.080-95. Then I will keg, pressurized, and lager in me kegerator at 35 for four weeks. Correct?

"Freedom is temporary unless you are also Brave!" - Patriot

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: First Lagers
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 12:49:39 pm »
Sounds good to me, although I try not to have schedule expectations for lagers.  I just let 'em do whatever the hell they want to do.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 01:15:01 pm »
Sounds about right to me, although they may continue to improve beyond 4 weeks of lagering in the keg. Be warned, if you start to sample them early they may not last the full lagering period :)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 03:53:48 pm »
Ya my time tables are ball park with the hydrometer doing the deciding. I'll sample at four weeks, so it's not gone before it peeks lol

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 08:06:26 pm »
For sampling, I'd wait it out for six weeks - you'd hate to have no beer left by 8 weeks! 
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 04:38:15 am »
If I go thru two 5 gallon kegs in two weeks, I'd say its good to go.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 05:36:17 am »
Been there, done that.  With enough friends, anything is possible.  Man does my crew love lagers.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 06:16:25 am »
Been there, done that.  With enough friends, anything is possible.  Man does my crew love lagers.

Yep. That's how I blew through my most recent Munich Dunkel. I had to pull some bottles off the keg for comp purposes just so we wouldn't drink every last drop. Which means that the Maibock that I had intended on lagering until May is on tap right now... this is dangerous.

But Jim, sounds like you have a good plan.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 07:22:54 am »
Which means that the Maibock that I had intended on lagering until May is on tap right now... this is dangerous.

That's ok...you're just following the trend of all those commercial brewers out there.  Octoberfest and Harvest Ales in July, Summer Ales in March, Maibock in April... ;D

I love lagers...have a German Pils and Munich Helles on tap right now.  Hope to get a Czech Pils and Schwarzbier done this year, along with Marzen in July (brewed in July not on tap  ;) )
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 07:51:17 am »
Jim, lagers can be very rewarding after the wait. Once you have some success, they will be part of your brewing rotation. You might need more kegs, if you keg.

We have done a Landbier, Helles, German Pils, CAP, Vienna, and a sort of clone of Quiannanon Falls lager by Bells (like a Pils but with American hop like Crystal). Have a Czech Pils planned.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 10:00:32 am »
... and a sort of clone of Quiannanon Falls lager by Bells (like a Pils but with American hop like Crystal)...

Not to derail the thread, but what yeast did you use for this? I'm really liking the hoppy lagers that I've been brewing lately, and now I want to start to dial it in a bit. I most recently tried WY2007, but it isn't quite "lagery" enough for what I'm looking for.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 10:24:38 am »
... and a sort of clone of Quiannanon Falls lager by Bells (like a Pils but with American hop like Crystal)...

Not to derail the thread, but what yeast did you use for this? I'm really liking the hoppy lagers that I've been brewing lately, and now I want to start to dial it in a bit. I most recently tried WY2007, but it isn't quite "lagery" enough for what I'm looking for.
WLP 835 Lager X, as I had a slurry to use. I do not know what strain Bells uses for lagers.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
    • http://www.barfclub.org
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 10:28:21 am »
Jim, lagers can be very rewarding after the wait. Once you have some success, they will be part of your brewing rotation. You might need more kegs, if you keg.

We have done a Landbier, Helles, German Pils, CAP, Vienna, and a sort of clone of Quiannanon Falls lager by Bells (like a Pils but with American hop like Crystal). Have a Czech Pils planned.

I really want to start making some light lagers just to test my skill. The flaws will be very noticeable if I screw up something. I am sad to say I have been brewing for a few years now and have never attempted a pale lager. Time to get on it, huh?
Michael P Mitchem
Beer and Ale Research Foundation (B.A.R.F.)
AHA Member since 2011

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 05:42:32 pm »
A lot of the lagers really allow you to dial in your setup.  I will do a recipe a few times then try something different after I feel like I have it down with consistency.  So far they get downed fairly quickly when they get tapped....I may have to search for some exotic lagers to give a whirl.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 08:55:01 am »
These two are already at 1.010 after just two weeks. 8 days at 50 and 6 days at 60. Hydrometer sample tastes great, no acytaldeyde or sulfur. But carbonated so its still working. How crazy, huh? I'll take a read in another 7 days and start my decent to lagering temp. Going to drop 3 a day to 36 then rack to kegs for lagering