General Category > All Grain Brewing

Whirlpooling

(1/3) > >>

donsmitty:
I tried whirlpooling on Friday night and it didn't work very well for me.  I swirled the wort and then let is settle for 10 minutes before siphoning into the primary.  I still had to filter it going into the primary as there was a lot of sludge all through the kettle.  I really didn't see any cone at all.  So what is your technique in getting a good cone in the middle of your kettle?

duboman:
Do you use findings like Irish moss? They help coagulate the proteins so they clump up and fall out during the whirlpool.

Also, when siphoning be sure you are not sucking up the trub, keep the end slightly above the bottom of the kettle. You can also use a hop sack as a filter on the end of the cane

Mind you, you won't get it all but a great deal better

donsmitty:

--- Quote from: duboman on April 02, 2013, 06:55:39 PM ---Do you use findings like Irish moss? They help coagulate the proteins so they clump up and fall out during the whirlpool.

Also, when siphoning be sure you are not sucking up the trub, keep the end slightly above the bottom of the kettle. You can also use a hop sack as a filter on the end of the cane

Mind you, you won't get it all but a great deal better

--- End quote ---

Using a Whirloc tablet (1/2 for 5 gal. batch). 

natebriscoe:

--- Quote from: donsmitty on April 02, 2013, 06:34:43 PM ---I tried whirlpooling on Friday night and it didn't work very well for me.  I swirled the wort and then let is settle for 10 minutes before siphoning into the primary.  I still had to filter it going into the primary as there was a lot of sludge all through the kettle.  I really didn't see any cone at all.  So what is your technique in getting a good cone in the middle of your kettle?

--- End quote ---
10 min probably isn't long enough settle time (especially if after being chilled) I do 15-20 min hot and 30 after chilled. Were you whirlpooling with a spoon or a pump?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

donsmitty:

--- Quote from: natebriscoe on April 03, 2013, 05:12:36 AM ---

10 min probably isn't long enough settle time (especially if after being chilled) I do 15-20 min hot and 30 after chilled. Were you whirlpooling with a spoon or a pump?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

--- End quote ---
Using my big spoon.  I guess I'm not doing it right then if it takes 30 minutes.  Wow!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version