General Category > All Grain Brewing

Whirlpooling

<< < (3/3)

ljbecker:
I have gone from counter flow wort chilling to immersion wort chilling to see if I can realize any improvement in my brewing process.  I have noticed that the whirlpool of the hot wort clears fast and creates a very predominate mound in the middle of the brew pot that allows me to siphon from the side and remove all but about a cup of wort from the brew pot.  The whirlpool of the cold wort does not clear very well and does not leave much of a mound and is very hard to remove the wort because of all the hops and trub.  Has anyone experienced this?

tom:
Yep, the cold trub doesn't settle as well.

I give it a good swirl with my brewing paddle and then let it settle for at least 15 minutes.  Then draw off from the side of the kettle.

hubie:
The kettle height to diameter is important.  I use a turkey fryer kettle and I cannot get any kind of a cone to form.

mabrungard:

--- Quote from: hubie on April 22, 2013, 09:17:43 AM ---The kettle height to diameter is important.  I use a turkey fryer kettle and I cannot get any kind of a cone to form.

--- End quote ---

Definitely!  A large diameter and modest height is the way to keep the cone confined to the center and allow you to draw the wort from the periphery.  The typical 15 gal keg is exactly what you don't want your kettle shape to be.  Fortunately for the keg users, the dished center of the keg is a good repository for trub.  Notice that all the kettles in large commercial breweries are relatively broad and not too deep.  A large diameter stock pot that has much larger capacity than you actually brew, is a good idea.  I use a 15 gal stock pot to brew 5 gal batches.

malzig:

--- Quote from: mabrungard on April 22, 2013, 07:08:34 PM ---
--- Quote from: hubie on April 22, 2013, 09:17:43 AM ---The kettle height to diameter is important.  I use a turkey fryer kettle and I cannot get any kind of a cone to form.

--- End quote ---

Definitely!  A large diameter and modest height is the way to keep the cone confined to the center and allow you to draw the wort from the periphery...  I use a 15 gal stock pot to brew 5 gal batches.

--- End quote ---
Don't you lose a large percentage to evaporation during the boil?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version