General Category > All Grain Brewing

Whirlpooling

<< < (2/3) > >>

foxburggolf:
I've been frustrated trying to effectively whirlpool my wort also.  Use irish moss and spoon and chill before transfer.  Best I've done is use a screen sleeve in the bottom of the brew pot to remove break, but it clogs stopping transfer so have to use my sanitized spoon to get it draining again.  Usually just let the break go into the fermenter and forget about it.  Is this having that significant an affect on my finished beer?

mabrungard:
I have used whirlpooling quite effectively for over a decade.  A fairly decent stirring to get the wort mixed and moving well and then a 15-minute stand.  The trub cone is well formed.  Another technique to help stabilize the cone is to use a portion of whole hops in the hop schedule.  The whole hops sort of 'stack up' the cone the help it stay together as the wort is drained. 

Another important thing about whirlpooling is to draw off the wort at the periphery of the kettle bottom.  You need to create a manifold pick up tube that circles the periphery of the kettle bottom so that it avoids drawing a lot of the cone.  By the way, if you are boiling in a tall kettle with a relatively small diameter (like a 15 gal keg), then you are more likely to have the cone spread all the way across the kettle bottom.  Then you have no choice but to draw off wort higher off the kettle bottom.

theDarkSide:
I just got a new pump and Jamil's Whirlpool chiller and plan to test it out in a "dry" run this weekend using just water (no brew plans yet).  Once I use it on a brew day, I'll let you know how it works.

natebriscoe:

--- Quote from: donsmitty on April 03, 2013, 05:23:32 AM ---
--- Quote from: natebriscoe on April 03, 2013, 05:12:36 AM ---

10 min probably isn't long enough settle time (especially if after being chilled) I do 15-20 min hot and 30 after chilled. Were you whirlpooling with a spoon or a pump?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

--- End quote ---
Using my big spoon.  I guess I'm not doing it right then if it takes 30 minutes.  Wow!
[/quote
You might also give your wort 5 min to settle down before stiring (let the rolling stop first)
--- End quote ---

jeffy:

--- Quote from: natebriscoe on April 03, 2013, 09:50:12 AM ---
--- Quote from: donsmitty on April 03, 2013, 05:23:32 AM ---
--- Quote from: natebriscoe on April 03, 2013, 05:12:36 AM ---

10 min probably isn't long enough settle time (especially if after being chilled) I do 15-20 min hot and 30 after chilled. Were you whirlpooling with a spoon or a pump?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

--- End quote ---
Using my big spoon.  I guess I'm not doing it right then if it takes 30 minutes.  Wow!
[/quote
You might also give your wort 5 min to settle down before stiring (let the rolling stop first)

--- End quote ---

This is important ^.   Let the boil action stop before stirring.  I use a big spoon or my mash paddle and get a good vortex going in my 15 gallon converted sanke boil keg.  I get a pretty good cone formation.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version