Author Topic: 5.2 pH Stabilizer  (Read 10015 times)

Offline Kaiser

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • View Profile
Re: 5.2 pH Stabilizer
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 08:48:38 AM »
I assume you mean this:

Its made for melting ice and while I don’t think there are additives in it I wouldn’t trust that it is food grade.

I see your problem. You need calcium chloride but the only food grade source you have is mail order. I’d still try to get food grade calcium chloride though. On an Aquarium web site I ran across this statement: “Smart ReefTM +Calc (Calcium Chloride) has is high purity calcium chloride and does not contain high bromides which recently manufactured calcium chloride by DOW does. Bromide can be detrimental to your aquarium.” This seem to imply that regular CaCl2 may contain traces of other stuff.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
Re: 5.2 pH Stabilizer
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 12:23:25 AM »
Whew! I nearly bought this 5pH stuff during my last visit to the LHBS! Meant to ask you guys about it...

And here it is.

Jar said it was bad with high iron water- so if the well water has this property...?

I'm with Denny on just using one's water to one's advantage. I'm pushing it to brew as low as 16 SRM! But there's a reason Brown ale was invented here LOL j/k ::)

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman