Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop spider  (Read 1638 times)

Offline jpeets

• Cellarman
Hop spider
« on: March 12, 2018, 01:21:49 pm »
Pros and cons I use it in the 1st 45minutes not after that Thinking more contact is better for  aroma Any thoughts
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 03:12:25 pm by jpeets »

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
Re: Hop spider
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 04:23:02 pm »
I use my spider before I even start boiling.
https://www.morebeer.com/products/hop-spider.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI65-2iOjn2QIV1xmBCh3QTAidEAQYASABEgLLLPD_BwE
After my sparge and everything I have a tube from my mashtun that goes directly into the kettle/spider. It helps me with some grist particle matter. Since the spider is never full submerged I just pitch all the hops into it and dunk it like I would a tea bag for a few minutes before I let it stand.
By the end of my boil, and depending how many hops I use, I have a fair size ball of the remainder pellets I just throw into compost.
I want to believe my spider has helped with clarity. I do know all that matter from the hops is no longer In The Carboy
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 04:54:34 pm »
I use a spider also, otherwise I have trouble keeping hop matter out of my fermenters. It's not a huge deal for my 3 gallon batches, but if I ferment in my 5 gallon carboy I want as much beer in the keg as possible.

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 05:16:24 pm »
Pros and cons I use it in the 1st 45minutes not after that Thinking more contact is better for  aroma Any thoughts
I don’t see any cons tbh. The hop oils are there.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline Adam

• Cellarman
    • High Altitude Home Brew Supply
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 05:52:37 pm »

So long as you have a vigorous boil and the bag is moving around you will get good contact and isomerization of the hops.  There is a theory out there that placing dry hops and late addition hops in a sock (or i guess a spider) does not allow full extraction. 

I would check out http://brulosophy.com/2016/03/21/kettle-hops-loose-vs-bagged-exbeeriment-results/

I usually add everything to the boil sans bag and whirlpool to remove loose hop material.
Fermentation at Elevation

Offline jpeets

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 03:59:34 am »
That’s the hop spider I own also great article THANKS