General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

Brewing supply store startup

(1/3) > >>

markcrum:
Mulling possibility of opening a homebrew supply shop -- we're barely legal here in Mississippi -- wonder if anyone out there has insight into startup costs and inventory?

tschmidlin:
I have no idea of the costs if you want to go full store front right away, but the guys I know who have started recently have started out of their garage or office and then opened storefronts when demand was enough.  Just a thought for a cheap way to get started.

ynotbrusum:
Tom has good practical advice, but check with an attorney - with the legal limitations there, you should be advised on the law from zoning limitations (operating out of your home or garage) to what products have restrictions (prohibited sales to minors, for example) to any licensing requirements your state may have.

As Tom mentioned, from a business perspective, start on the smaller side and let demand dictate growth and offerings - many of the products have a short shelf life and you don't want to be known as the guy with the older, nearly expired yeast.  One shop near me sells the yeast on a sliding scale based on freshness...just one example for a smaller operator.

Good luck!

bonjour:
This thread belongs in the Going Pro section
Please continue the discussion there.

--- Quote ---1.   The “Going Pro” Board is dedicated to discussion related to starting a new commercial brewery and/or becoming a professional brewer.
2.   The “Going Pro”  Board is not intended for discussion of existing brewery operations, such topics are more appropriate for the Brewers Association Forum http://www.brewersassociation.org.
3.   Any discussion of pricing of supplies, product, etc. on the “Going Pro” Board are strictly banned to avoid infraction of anti-competitive laws. Posts violating this ban will be removed immediately.
4.   Solicitation of funds is NOT allowed.  Asking how to get funds is acceptable.
5.   All rules applying to the general AHA Forum also apply to the "Going Pro" Board.
--- End quote ---

hopfenundmalz:
Contact the AHA, they have some background they can give you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version