Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How to tell a craft brewer his beer is seriously flawed  (Read 14675 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: How to tell a craft brewer his beer is seriously flawed
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2013, 07:25:20 am »
+1.  Well done.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2013, 07:26:44 am »
So, what happened to the frolfing guy?

"Freedom is temporary unless you are also Brave!" - Patriot

Offline lewisb13

• 1st Kit
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2013, 08:25:58 am »
Hahahhaha

Offline mpietropaoli

• Brewer
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2013, 12:11:14 pm »
I'd like to offer a metaphor, if I may.
So you're out frolfing and you run into that girl from biology class whom you find so attractive. You say,"hey! You're in my biology class. I didn't know you frolfed!" Next thing you know you hit it off. She laughs at your bad jokes and touches your arm. You find out that you have a lot in common. She smiles and tosses her hair. It's as if you're the only 2 people on the frolf course. Then her friend clears her throat. Uh oh! Time to play frolf. Time to get her digits. Suddenly you begin to sweat. You're nervous.  Uncomfortable. You think, "I don't want her to think I'm that guy who picks up women on a frolf course! " So you let her go with,"nice to meet you" and you go home and write a letter professing your love for her and slip it in her locker.  What happens next? Happily ever after? Or really uncomfortable biology class and she ends up marrying some controlling, abusive jerk who doesn't even frolf?
As a future bjcp judge you can make the beer world a better and more delicious place. But you must dough-in while the water is hot.

Gold.  Simply gold.  Though I read through each sentence with baited breath, I'm not sure I can make the metaphoric connection to the topic. 

Must have been something I drank.
Bubblin': helles
Flowin': IIPA, Doppelbock, Flanders
Sittin': More Flanders, Braison,
Thinkin': wit, more helles

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2013, 12:33:23 pm »
I'd like to offer a metaphor, if I may.
So you're out frolfing and you run into that girl from biology class whom you find so attractive. You say,"hey! You're in my biology class. I didn't know you frolfed!" Next thing you know you hit it off. She laughs at your bad jokes and touches your arm. You find out that you have a lot in common. She smiles and tosses her hair. It's as if you're the only 2 people on the frolf course. Then her friend clears her throat. Uh oh! Time to play frolf. Time to get her digits. Suddenly you begin to sweat. You're nervous.  Uncomfortable. You think, "I don't want her to think I'm that guy who picks up women on a frolf course! " So you let her go with,"nice to meet you" and you go home and write a letter professing your love for her and slip it in her locker.  What happens next? Happily ever after? Or really uncomfortable biology class and she ends up marrying some controlling, abusive jerk who doesn't even frolf?
As a future bjcp judge you can make the beer world a better and more delicious place. But you must dough-in while the water is hot.

Gold.  Simply gold.  Though I read through each sentence with baited breath, I'm not sure I can make the metaphoric connection to the topic. 

Must have been something I drank.
  +1.  What it lacks in metaphoric connection it makes up for by being funny as hell !
Jon H.

cornershot

« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2013, 01:36:01 pm »
Maybe it was something I drank...coffee!
The connection I intended was not making a move when the person is most receptive to you and instead write a letter which comes off as not confident which ain't sexy to neither a woman nor a businessman. I'm no beer judge and I don't aspire to be. I can't imagine it would be easy. They must spend a lot of time and energy and drink a lot of crappy beer just to endure a lot of crap from brewers who disagree with the score/evaluation you gave them. I know I have a hard time telling a wide-eyed newbie, let alone a seasoned veteran, that their masterpiece is flawed.
I'd suggest in a couple months or more to have a couple beers at the farm and see how it's going. Maybe she'll be receptive again. Then maybe get the tour (per euge). In the meantime, best of luck with the bjcp! We're all counting on you to use your influence and passion to help bring better beer to this world! Thanks.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2013, 10:29:58 am »
I used to frolf until I hurt my frack.

On the flip side to this, brewing good beer in a brewpub scale is no simple task.  Even more challenging is brewing a particular beer consistently.  I have a favorite local microbrewery and they are a touch inconsistent but produce good beer in general.  I forgive them this minor indiscretion, partly because they are the only microbrewery in the area and partly because I understand that there are multiple variables that you have to try and control each time you embark on that wonderful endeavor of breiwng 300+gal.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO