Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brown Malt  (Read 7115 times)

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
Brown Malt
« on: November 03, 2009, 10:43:17 am »
How much to use in a brown ale or porter for instance?  What type of flavor does it impart?
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Brown Malt
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 10:52:39 am »
It kinda depends on whose brown malt you're talking about.  A friend did some research and sent me this....

A while back I was asking about Baird brown malt, and whether it was really brown and not amber since the sack indicated both "brown" and "amber" (55-70L).  Weird.  The folks at Baird told me that it could be either brown or amber  depending on what the customer wanted it to be, that the two malts are interchangeable.  B.S!  Anyway, I purchased some Crisp amber malt (35L) from Greg Beron at Culver City Homebrew in So. Cal., and it is visibly identical to Baird.  Furthermore, I just received some Thomas Fawcett brown malt from North Country Malt and it is easily, visibly darker then the Baird.  I mention this to you because if you're getting your brown malt through the LHBS, and he gets it from Steinbart's, it is Baird amber malt that is mislabeled.  If you saw this Thomas Fawcett brown malt, it would be obvious.  Makes me mad since I just kegged a porter brewed with the Baird amber, thinking/hoping it was brown malt.

In my bourbon vanilla impy porter recipe, I use 1.5 lb. of the Baird, which is labeled as 70L.  That's 8.5 % of the total grist.  Whether is really is 70l, I don't know.

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 08:30:06 pm »
FWIW, I use about 10% in my Porter.  It contributes a nice roasty flavor without being bitter.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 05:47:17 am »
I'll have to double check, but I believe I have Thomas Fawcett.  Did a group buy with my LHBS and I believe that is what they purchased for brown malt.  Bluesman and I will be brewing Denny's BVIP recipe next weekend and I was just curious since it does call for some brown malt.  This will be the first time I brewed someone else's recipe.  It looks great and I can't wait to try it.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 06:00:17 pm »
Does Baird have a history of a "One Size Fits All" marketing posture?  ???
Just brew it...

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 09:24:19 pm »
It kinda depends on whose brown malt you're talking about.  A friend did some research and sent me this....

A while back I was asking about Baird brown malt, and whether it was really brown and not amber since the sack indicated both "brown" and "amber" (55-70L).  Weird.  The folks at Baird told me that it could be either brown or amber  depending on what the customer wanted it to be, that the two malts are interchangeable.  B.S!  Anyway, I purchased some Crisp amber malt (35L) from Greg Beron at Culver City Homebrew in So. Cal., and it is visibly identical to Baird.  Furthermore, I just received some Thomas Fawcett brown malt from North Country Malt and it is easily, visibly darker then the Baird.  I mention this to you because if you're getting your brown malt through the LHBS, and he gets it from Steinbart's, it is Baird amber malt that is mislabeled.  If you saw this Thomas Fawcett brown malt, it would be obvious.  Makes me mad since I just kegged a porter brewed with the Baird amber, thinking/hoping it was brown malt.

In my bourbon vanilla impy porter recipe, I use 1.5 lb. of the Baird, which is labeled as 70L.  That's 8.5 % of the total grist.  Whether is really is 70l, I don't know.

Man, I can't believe you kept that info!  I'm sure I must have mentioned the obvious taste/roastiness difference between the Baird and the TF. 

By the way, John Palmer's San Gabriel Porter recipe is a killer, and uses brown malt. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 09:17:53 am »

Man, I can't believe you kept that info!  I'm sure I must have mentioned the obvious taste/roastiness difference between the Baird and the TF. 

By the way, John Palmer's San Gabriel Porter recipe is a killer, and uses brown malt. 

Dude, you did the research so I didn't have to!  Of course I kept it!  :)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell