Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fresh Bitter Orange Peel  (Read 1945 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Fresh Bitter Orange Peel
« on: March 04, 2010, 12:52:58 pm »
So I noticed "Seville Sour Oranges" being sold at the upscale supermarket near my school. I googled them, and they're "bitter oranges" or "curacao oranges." Since I was already planning on brewing a couple witbiers (one hoppier and unspiced with 3711 and a more traditional wit with coriander, bitter orange peel, and cardamom with 3864).

My question: how much fresh bitter orange peel to use? My assumption is a half a peel (peeled off with a vegetable peeler) at 10 min and the other half at flameout. I make this assumption largely because I am guessing the dried stuff is about 1/4 the volume of the regular stuff (assuming that about 75% of the peel is water). Does anyone else have experience using fresh bitter orange peel?

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: Fresh Bitter Orange Peel
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 01:44:03 pm »
I don't know the answer to your question, but for a frame of reference, I use a microplane and peel: 2 medium sized sweet oranges, 2 tangerines and one lemon per 12 gallons and put in at 5min to go. I forget the weight of all of that (its on my recipe at home) but I do try to keep it approx the same everytime.

I think 1 orange total for 5 gal is piddly.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281