Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Burnt starter  (Read 1846 times)

Offline BP79

• Assistant Brewer
Burnt starter
« on: April 04, 2013, 08:25:01 pm »
I made a starter last night in it appears I burnt the DME.  I placed the flask directly on the stove top as I always do, had the flame at medium as to prevent a boil-over, examined the flask this morning after putting it in the fridge, and the bottom of the yeast cake inside the flask looks like a giraffe.  Has anyone else experienced this?  And of the golden question, do I toss it? 

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Burnt starter
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 08:32:00 pm »
I don't know. If you prepared it the way you usually do, which has worked before, seems it's just a fluke. If you're planning to decant the liquid anyway, not much to worry about the flavor of the wort. Other than the zebra stripes, is the wort darker than normal?
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline BP79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 08:36:05 pm »
I didn't change a single step, kept the same volume of water and weight of DME, and yup, the color is the same as it always looks.  I decant the 'beer' before pitching, so I guess I shouldn't stress about it.  Thanks for the reassurance.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 08:40:12 pm »
That's pretty odd. You should probably have a beer.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 05:12:14 am »
I am pretty sensitive to the burnt flavors.  If I were you I would taste the decanted starter.  If it is burnt then that flavor in the yeast will probably contribute to the flavor of the beer.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995