Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thoughts on hops in pots  (Read 26478 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Thoughts on hops in pots
« on: April 05, 2013, 07:11:22 am »
My three centennial, cascade, and Willamette arrived today. I'm thinking of planting in half wine barrels on the deck and running them up the south end of the house. How do they like pots?

"Freedom is temporary unless you are also Brave!" - Patriot

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Thoughts on hops in pots
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 07:32:43 am »
I bet they will be fine in barrels.  My concern would be a big enough pot, but a barrel should work.  At least for a few years.  You will want to fertilize and compost every season or even repot them after a few years to replace depleted soil nutrients.  They like nitrogen, and they need a butt-ton of water, especially in pots.  Just take care not to drown them or they will rot -- ensure you have drainage holes at the bottom of the pots.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 07:54:05 am »
Cool. I'll fill pots with miracle grows moisture control soil and fertilize with triple 16 and bone meal.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Thoughts on hops in pots
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 08:36:22 am »
Their growth will be seriously limited in pots.  Hops form huge root balls.  You might not notice for the first year or so, but after that they won't grow much.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 10:00:56 am »
Here's a good article on growing hops in containers. I think a wine barrel is a good sixe if you do choose to go the container route for your hops.

http://www.byo.com/component/k2/item/1872-growing-hops-in-containers
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 11:57:39 am »
When is the best time to repot the hops?  I read the BYO article and think I should repot with potting mix rather than the soil I used.  Also the hops are in their third year any may be close to being due anyway.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 12:21:01 pm »
I would think right about now would be the time to repot, just before significant growth begins for the season.  I wouldn't use potting soil on its own.  I think a blend of three different kinds of soil is a good idea.  In my garden I often do sort of a random blend of my native soil (perhaps 50%) with additional commercially packaged humus, compost, topsoil, potting mix, etc. (10 to 25% each), and I have had good results with all different sorts of fruits and veggies doing this.  Diversity seems to be the key in successful gardening.  After your plants have been growing for 4 to 6 weeks, you can start feeding nitrogen fertilizers, which will help keep the plants very green and vigorous.  Then once late summer / early autumn hits, cut off the fertilizer to allow the plants to fruit and then go dormant.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 05:47:47 pm »
Put enough soil in the pots.  I put mine in 1/2 of a sawed off 55 gallon drum but didn't put enough soil in it.  If it's full of soil I think you'll be fine.  Then ask yourself why you're not putting them in the ground.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 07:35:41 pm »
I'm using 4cf of miracle grow per planter.

Offline HobsonDrake

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beaverton, OR
    • Brew Batch List
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 05:53:58 pm »
I have all but one of my plants in half wine barrels. This is year three for three of them and year two for three others. I have one in the ground that is five years old.
I find that the one in the ground is harder to control then the potted plants. I have to keep a close eye on the runners. They will pop up a long way away from where it is planted.
The three year old are doing well. The runners get to the barrel edge and then up. Easy to cut off or pull up and have replanted a couple. (Don't know why. Don't need any more :D )
However, I did notice that the drain holes that I drilled in the bottom of the barrel now has roots into the ground. I decided that if I ever move I may want to take these plants with me (that is if the buyers don't wish to have them) so I will have to some how get under and cut these anchors.
Check out my brew history and recipes at http://www.hobsondrake.com/BrewList.html

John D.

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 06:24:18 pm »
This is my second year having them in pots. I pulled a bunch of the roots and refrigerated to simulate winter (I'm in Florida) and they are growing well now. I got 1lb from each last year which was more than expected.
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline Franklin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 06:46:46 pm »
I love living in the Willamette valley where i can take the sportster out and observe the fields that got strung up and the growth of the bines. As the summer goes on it's really sweet...Then comes September !!!  LIFE IS GOOD !!!!!!!!
Frank Linkh

Offline aschecte

• Cellarman
  • Don't worry I'll drink it !!
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 07:06:07 pm »
I personally have had great results growing my hops in containers. The few factors I knew to do though as I read about hop gardening in containers via a BA book called HOPS and there is a section on this. first off is container size as hop rhizomes have massive root systems. the first year I undersized my pot a little and the roots broke through the pot and into the ground below.... now I have hops in ground as well lol. second is soil selection and fertilizing the soil at specific intervals. Third is watering as in a container their is no access to ground water and the bigger the plant the more it will require as time goes on. all that said I will repeat I have had no less than awesome results in container. best of Luck !!!!

don't worry I'll drink it !!

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 07:52:47 pm »

This is a five year old cascade crown in the desert, a poor growing climate.  Imagine what it would look like someplace that gets rain more than twice a year.  That's a full size lawn chair. 
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2013, 10:57:50 am »
Got babies finally