Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Step vs Batch  (Read 4883 times)

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
Re: Step vs Batch
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 10:52:54 am »
In your example no, not much difference. But your example also is not a "stepped" starter, the step refers to increasing the amount of the starter, say from  1 to 3 liters or 2 to 4 liters etc.  This will get you the substantial difference in growth that stepped starters are intended to create.  I will at least try to double the previous volume when doing stepped starters.

I'm not following you here.  He's proposing a step from two quarts to four quarts.  Sort of like your two liters to four liters.  How is that not a stepped starter?

When I step up starters I typically double the volume as he is proposing, which is also what you seem to be recommending.
Is there much growth difference between step and batch starters? For example, difference between a 4 qt starter or a 2 qt starter and adding 2 qts two days later

"Freedom is temporary unless you are also Brave!" - Patriot

HUH???? He is merely not decanting, making 2- two qt starters, not a 2-qt starter then a 4 qt starter.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 11:07:21 am »
HUH???? He is merely not decanting, making 2- two qt starters, not a 2-qt starter then a 4 qt starter.

I follow you now.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

narvin

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 11:12:49 am »

He's doing steps in that he's first pitching ~100 billion cells in 2 liters and then pitching the resulting starter (with more yeast) in 2 liters.  He's just not "stepping up" the size, so there's less advantage than you'd get otherwise.

According to the Wyeast calc and Mr malty, you do get more new cell growth from 2 liters of starter wort when you pitch 2 packs versus 1.  Hence the steps result in more overall yeast than 2 seperate 2-liter starters (or one 4l starter).
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 03:49:30 pm by narvin »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 03:10:36 pm »
Oy. ...
I pitch one activator into two quarts, then in two days I add two quarts.  Is that stepped?
I am going to try crash/decant before adding the second two quarts. Would that not be stepped?
In theory other seems no different other the first method other than getting rid of spent wort and alcohol. But I have been totally lost before

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 03:15:56 pm »
IMO it is stepped.  Repo is saying that you'll get better growth if you added four quarts to the two quarts (or decanting and then adding the four quarts) so that you're stepping up the size of the starter.

I don't always decant and frequently do what you are proposing to do.  It works just fine for me.

Either way you will get growth.  Doubling the amount of wort for the second step will give you better growth.

Do it whichever way works best for you.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2013, 11:09:23 pm »
Ah ha. I understand now.