General Category > Homebrew Competitions

NHC regional experiences

(1/14) > >>

udubdawg:
There have been a lot of changes, new locations, and more interest than ever before.
So, I'm interested in hearing how they are going!

I can report that the Kansas City Bier Meisters did a great, great job of organizing a successful judging weekend in KC.  I know they are exhausted now but I hope they consider hosting a regional in another year or two.  Some solid and some excellent beers from around the country, and judging done by around 5pm yesterday.  Sufficient lighting and not overcrowded.  The food was great and plentiful, thanks.  Quite a few judges made really long drives to help out.  Janis even flew out to help!  Yeah I did some b****ing about a few long flights, but that is practically my calling card.    ;D

Looks like Category 16 is the most popular these days.  People love their Belgian Specialties...

How are the others regions going?

cheers--
--Michael

james:
I drove over to Seattle to judge this weekend.  We did 1 session Friday night and 2 on Saturday.  Wrapped up by 5:30 on Saturday.

Really well organized and everything went smoothly.  Having the 2nd bottle for mini-BOS is awesome.

AmandaK:

--- Quote from: udubdawg on April 07, 2013, 10:18:38 AM ---I can report that the Kansas City Bier Meisters did a great, great job of organizing a successful judging weekend in KC.  I know they are exhausted now but I hope they consider hosting a regional in another year or two.  Some solid and some excellent beers from around the country, and judging done by around 5pm yesterday.  Sufficient lighting and not overcrowded.  The food was great and plentiful, thanks.  Quite a few judges made really long drives to help out.  Janis even flew out to help!  Yeah I did some b****ing about a few long flights, but that is practically my calling card.    ;D

--- End quote ---

Michael, thank you for the kind words! Yes, we are all exhausted, but it was well worth it. We certainly could not have pulled it off without the help of everyone - something Janis also commented on. When a snafu arose, there was always someone there to figure it out and make it a non-issue.

We had AMAZING food crafted by one of our members, a great staff, and a whole lot of volunteers from all over the midwest (and some beyond!).

I do hope we can do this again next year. If we can improve on a "great, great job", then I think we're in business!

PS - I'm going to have to get the recipe for that peach cider you handed me.  ;D

udubdawg:
I forgot about the second bottle for mini-BOS...Mostly because it caused everything to go smoothly, and is generally an awesome change.  The competition isn't perfect but this is a big improvement.

santoch:
I agree that the 2nd bottle was a huge win during judging.  I was able to pull flights from large categories when extra judges showed up, because the mini-BOS could be delayed until all flights finished with no detrimental effects.  Even during the bottle sort, the larger number of bottles wasn't that big of a deal, as we finished the sort in a little over 3 hours.
It did take 2x the space though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version