Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC regional experiences  (Read 22407 times)

Offline vikeman

• 1st Kit
Re: NHC regional experiences
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2013, 12:59:41 pm »
OK  the NHC says all results have been processed!!  Now can we get the results?....or do we have to wait another week?

I dunno.  But New York was one of the first regions 'processed' and I haven't seen my score sheets yet.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2013, 01:17:22 pm »
OK  the NHC says all results have been processed!!  Now can we get the results?....or do we have to wait another week?

I dunno.  But New York was one of the first regions 'processed' and I haven't seen my score sheets yet.
that sucks.  3 weeks ago, right?  Got mine from Tulsa today, and they just finished 6 days ago.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2013, 01:32:38 pm »

Some region have the sheets in the mail on Monday, others not so quick. Most years I have waited for the online post by Janis to see if I had placed.

Hope she posts on Monday, as all are processed, and the official results can go out on the web.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline bucknut

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2013, 04:52:55 pm »

that sucks.  3 weeks ago, right?  Got mine from Tulsa today, and they just finished 6 days ago.

Mine went to Tulsa also and haven't heard anything yet?? Maybe soon :(

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2013, 07:17:44 am »
There's a rather long thread on Homebrewtalk regarding the first round results and inconsistencies in each region (which have sent to a member of the GC so they could be aware for next year ).  Some are valid, like the scoresheets for some regions being sent out the next business day while other regions judge the same day haven't sent them out yet (not going to say who but it rhymes with Blue Snork Ditty  ;D ). 

Others are ridiculous, like saying "how hard is it to enter info into a database and put them online".  Very few of us (me not included) knows how much work Janis puts into getting the results posted.  Some are just comical, like the poster who said the reason region 11 had so many issues is that people in NYC are just busier than everyone else.

Everyone likes to throw the "perceived advantage" thing around but having 3-4 extra weeks to rebrew one or more of your entries is definitely an advantage.  I have no problem waiting for the May 4th deadline, but feel that some will have a 4 week jump on others just doesn't seem fair.

I'm not sure how to fix it and don't envy those who are assigned the task.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2013, 08:11:16 am »
There's a rather long thread on Homebrewtalk regarding the first round results and inconsistencies in each region (which have sent to a member of the GC so they could be aware for next year ).  Some are valid, like the scoresheets for some regions being sent out the next business day while other regions judge the same day haven't sent them out yet (not going to say who but it rhymes with Blue Snork Ditty  ;D ). 

Others are ridiculous, like saying "how hard is it to enter info into a database and put them online".  Very few of us (me not included) knows how much work Janis puts into getting the results posted.  Some are just comical, like the poster who said the reason region 11 had so many issues is that people in NYC are just busier than everyone else.

Everyone likes to throw the "perceived advantage" thing around but having 3-4 extra weeks to rebrew one or more of your entries is definitely an advantage.  I have no problem waiting for the May 4th deadline, but feel that some will have a 4 week jump on others just doesn't seem fair.

I've been following that thread for a little while now.

A couple thoughts:
  • Wow. Some people are naive. But, such is life on the internet.
  • If a region is "too busy", maybe they shouldn't be considered to host a regional next year.
  • If we know some regions are a bit slow, why are we still sending our beers to them? Somewhat local and well organized are my requirements for any competition. If I wasn't allowed to enter my beers in KC, I would have picked either Tulsa or St. Paul because I know they can run a great competition.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2013, 08:30:21 am »
    • If we know some regions are a bit slow, why are we still sending our beers to them? Somewhat local and well organized are my requirements for any competition. If I wasn't allowed to enter my beers in KC, I would have picked either Tulsa or St. Paul because I know they can run a great competition.
    Amanda, last year my region was Philly and I had my scores back in a few days.  Obviously they are a little busy this year so NYC picked it up.  The year prior was Saratoga Springs, and you can look back at old forum posts on that one.  ::)

I hope Philly decides to do it again next year.  Otherwise you may see my entries heading your way.
    Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
    AHA Member
    Stephen Mayo
    ------------------------------------------------

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
    • I must live here
    • Milford, MI
    « Reply #22 on: April 29, 2013, 11:12:37 am »

The most I got out of that thread was that the Ohio scoresheets are mailed.

That, and that I need to get a life, as I have free time on my hands.
    Jeff Rankert
    AHA Lifetime Member
    BJCP National
    Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
    Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
    « Reply #23 on: April 29, 2013, 12:09:18 pm »
    I know we've had a few cover sheets not marked with a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place that did advance.  It happens.
    What about ones marked with a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place that did not advance?  Anyone seen that mistake?

I'd like to see just the top 3 on each web site the second that the last region finishes judging.  But maybe it takes a long time to go through scoresheets and flight summary sheets and double check...

the reason I asked is post-Tulsa judging my name wasn't on the list of top 3 in Cat 14.  Yet my scoresheet shows up Saturday, and in addition to the 4 I knew about, my 14C says "3rd."
    Hmm...maybe I'll hold off on draining that keg for a few more days.

cheers--
    --Michael

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Redbird Brewhouse
    « Reply #24 on: April 29, 2013, 01:25:55 pm »
    I know we've had a few cover sheets not marked with a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place that did advance.  It happens.
    What about ones marked with a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place that did not advance?  Anyone seen that mistake?

I haven't seen that at the NHC personally, but it has happened to me for one of the comps in the High Plains Circuit. I had cover sheets marked for everything from 9th to 3rd. Funny thing was that they didn't mark my actual second place beer. So when they sent out the medals, I didn't get a silver, I got a bronze. I emailed the organizer and she basically told me "Tough s**t".

Don't think I'll be entering that one again! :o
    Amanda Burkemper
    KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
    BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
    BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Tim Thomssen

• Cellarman
    « Reply #25 on: April 29, 2013, 03:14:32 pm »
    My Denver score sheets showed up in the mail today. On the cover sheets, some of the places were marked 1, 2, 3, etc. Some marked DNA and some with the place awarded space left blank. I'm waiting for the official AHA results to be posted before I re-brew anything.

Offline Chris Rauschuber

• 1st Kit
    « Reply #26 on: April 29, 2013, 03:44:17 pm »

Why can't we have the first round judging happen earlier in the year(or even before the holidays)? If we could lengthen the time between first round results and final round shipping(to months instead of weeks), then a four-week advantage wouldn't matter as much. This would mean that a lot more beers would *have* to be re-brewed(wheat beers, hoppy beers, etc.), but at least you'd have time to plan.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
    « Reply #27 on: April 29, 2013, 05:30:31 pm »
    all entries were due at the same time, right?

I had two bottle-conditioned lagers, a fresh Kolsch still clarifying and two slightly green hoppy beers.  I rushed to get stuff ready, entered them in the later of the two regions available to me.  I had two weeks of additional cold-conditioning in Tulsa vs if they had been judged in KC.
    advantage?

some got to drop off entries vs ship them.  IMO, huge advantage.

Chance to find out two weeks earlier whether I'd advanced or not? I didn't perceive it as enough of an advantage to make it worthwhile to enter KC.  YMMV.

I won a category that had only 4 entries, while just missing top 3 in one with 55.  The competition level isn't equal.

if someone has a way to run a competition where national interest level probably approaches 20,000 entries, so that no one has any advantages, I'd love to hear it.

Offline capnjb

• 1st Kit
    « Reply #28 on: April 29, 2013, 05:41:23 pm »
    If we know some regions are a bit slow, why are we still sending our beers to them? Somewhat local and well organized are my requirements for any competition. If I wasn't allowed to enter my beers in KC, I would have picked either Tulsa or St. Paul because I know they can run a great competition.

Well, this doesn't work for first time entrants who have no idea about the regions.  It also doesn't work because the registration process was a complete disaster.  It also, also doesn't work because once the entrant registers they are unable to register elsewhere.

This has been my first (and likely last) attempt to participate in the NHC and/or anything AHA related.  Due to the size and prestige of 'The Worlds Largest Homebrew Competition' (and the exorbitant fees) I was expecting a certain level of professionalism and it has been anything but.  I feel like I participated in a hobby group that got out of the organizers hands.  Lesson learned I suppose.

Offline bucknut

• Cellarman
    « Reply #29 on: April 29, 2013, 06:07:04 pm »

I'd like to see just the top 3 on each web site the second that the last region finishes judging.  But maybe it takes a long time to go through scoresheets and flight summary sheets and double check...

the reason I asked is post-Tulsa judging my name wasn't on the list of top 3 in Cat 14.  Yet my scoresheet shows up Saturday, and in addition to the 4 I knew about, my 14C says "3rd."
    Hmm...maybe I'll hold off on draining that keg for a few more days.

cheers--
    --Michael

Michael, I got my scores back today from Tulsa judging and I only had one beer entered, it was in the 14C cat. I scored a 36.5 and it says advanced to mini-BOS, I take that meant that it went to a second judge cause I have two score sheets. My question is that the "place awarded" box was blank, I guess that means I didn't place or will that be announced on the 4th? This was my first competition so not sure how this all works. Thanks