Hello, on a Thursday I placed my bottles (already cleaned of labels and glue) in a 18 gallon container and filled with water and bleach (ratio of 4 gal to 1 oz). I had to bottle Saturday night, b/c i was leaving on a trip Sunday morning. Well on Sat at 10pm, thought no problem, I'll take em out rinse, bottle and be on my way...
I took the bottles out and it felt like sandpaper or an etching on the outside of most of the bottles. After rubbing one for a few moments, it came off in the form of whitish pasty stuff. I assume this has to do with the chlorine. It was on the inside as well.
Having to still travel, no bottle brush, and only a few options I rinsed each one, then filled each with hot water, let soak for 10 minutes each, vigoruesly shook, then emptied. I know it didn't remove all of the stuff and could even see a bit of white in the neck, and soaking alone in hot water did not remove the stuff from the outside so it probably didn't do much for the inside. So....having had to bottle since, will there be a potential health risk from drinking these? Anyone else ever have this? Is it indeed chlorine drying on the bottles (the bottles were still plenty below the water/bleach line)? Beer is safe to drink?