General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

Questions for a class at Indiana University

(1/4) > >>

greenar:
Hey guys, I just have a few questions to ask you all for some general home brewing research.  If you wouldnt mind please take a few minutes and answering these to help me out.

-How much home brewing do you do in an average year?
-What is your current cost to make a batch, and how much does that make?
-If properly licensed, how would you go about distributing your beer?
-If you could, would you be willing to take your hobby to the next level and try to start a business?
-If yes, what is holding you back?

And once again thanks guys.  It is greatly appreciated.

gail:
First off, it's not just "guys" here... ;)
I brew about 12-18 five gallon batches per year at about $15-30 per batch (repitching yeast, hop amounts, leaf vs. pellet, etc. changes the cost quite a bit).  In Michigan, a properly licensed brewer has to distribute through a distributor plus a litany of taxes and other restrictions.  As a result of so many liquor control headaches, I wouldn't want to start a brewing business (plus, my day job probably pays better and isn't anywhere near as much physical labor!).
I wish there were classes like this when I was in school.
Good luck,
Gail

greenar:
Sorry Gail, I stand corrected.  but thanks for the help.
and yeah its nice taking classes like this :)

gail:
No biggie!  Crispy Frey once told me women were about a 7% minority membership in the AHA according to one poll...I'd love to see more involved!
Here's to an "A" in your class,
Gail

fightdman:

--- Quote from: gail on November 08, 2009, 06:50:41 PM ---First off, it's not just "guys" here... ;)
I brew about 12-18 five gallon batches per year at about $15-30 per batch (repitching yeast, hop amounts, leaf vs. pellet, etc. changes the cost quite a bit).  In Michigan, a properly licensed brewer has to distribute through a distributor plus a litany of taxes and other restrictions.  As a result of so many liquor control headaches, I wouldn't want to start a brewing business (plus, my day job probably pays better and isn't anywhere near as much physical labor!).
I wish there were classes like this when I was in school.
Good luck,
Gail

--- End quote ---

Gail hit the nail on the head regarding the goverment hoops you'd have to jump through to just to brew your first batch of commercial beer.  Her per-batch costs are right in line as well.

I brew 30, 5 gallon batches a year.  I'm goint to step up to 10 gallon batches to reduce my overall brew time.

As far as going to the next level, there are several factors that could be roadblocks:  Capital, local market conditions and government regulation are just a couple.  Labor and energy cost are skyrocketing as well and brewing is both energy and labor intensive.  Plus, you have to make beers that appeal to a large enough market to make it $$ fesible.  It's not an easy business.

I think I'll just brew for me for a while longer. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version