General Category > Hop Growing

Second Year Hops

(1/3) > >>

fmader:
The weather finally turned for the better here in Ohio. The gardens are coming alive and have had a lot of perennial growth the last couple days. I have three second year hops starting to develop shooters. This centennial was the best plant last year and is, by far, the earliest to develop significant new growth. As you can see, there are several larger shooters starting, but there are probably close to 30-40 smaller ones. Being that this is its second year, should I just let it go this year or should I prune some these back when they begin to mature a bit more?

duboman:
Jealous! Here in the north of Illinois it is still butt cold, daffodils aren't even an inch yet! My hops are still sleeping:(

Mark G:
I'd prune those back to just a few shoots per plant and train them up your string, trellis, etc. You should start to see a harvest your second year.

Duboman... They're on their way. Mine all started breaking through the ground in the last few days. That's about a month behind last year.

fmader:

--- Quote from: Mark G on April 09, 2013, 06:27:49 PM ---I'd prune those back to just a few shoots per plant and train them up your string, trellis, etc. You should start to see a harvest your second year.

Duboman... They're on their way. Mine all started breaking through the ground in the last few days. That's about a month behind last year.

--- End quote ---

This plant actually gave me a couple ounces in its first year. It grew probably twice as full and 50% taller than the other two, so I'm excited to see what it will do this year. The other two only have a couple shoots per plant. So, as far as pruning back to a few...should I wait until they grow a bit to see which are the healthiest?

BrewArk:
Cut 'em - they'll make more.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version