Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: When/how to add Brett as a secondary yeast?  (Read 19989 times)

Offline a witty man

• Cellarman
  • Fed by Fermentation
    • Zephyr Fermented Beverages
When/how to add Brett as a secondary yeast?
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2013, 06:58:57 pm »
Brett B. Trois is relatively clean in my experience - it's typically used for 100% brett ferments.

I finish my saisons with Brett C. and really like the results. Earthy and funky, complementing the sacchro esters.
~Aaron
Founding Member of the Albany Brew Crafters
BJCP Certified #e1105
www.zephyrfermentedbeverages.blogspot.com

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
Re: When/how to add Brett as a secondary yeast?
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 01:41:28 pm »
WLP670 is a blend that I think is very similar to what your asking about. Obviously both yeast get pitched at the same time. I think the sacc gets going fast and the Brett is slower and cleans up all the leftovers. Assuming this is true, I wouldn't think it would matter.

I'm not a big fan of that because I don't like leaving the full load of primary yeast around while the Brett does it's work.  I know the Brett is supposed to clean up the autolysis byproducts, but I have had great results racking into the secondary and then pitching the Brett.  I just think leaving a primary yeast at warm room temps for a year like the Brett likes is not a good idea.

I decided to give WLP670 a try this weekend.  Good results have been posted on the Embrace the Funk blog, so I'm jumpin' in.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 11:58:18 am »
I decided to give WLP670 a try this weekend.  Good results have been posted on the Embrace the Funk blog, so I'm jumpin' in.

Great blend! It seems like a blend of Saison II/III (not the Dupont strain) and their Brett Brux strain (WLP650).

I've used it once, and the only thing I would change is letting it condition in the keg at cellar-room temp a bit longer before putting it on tap. The drop in temp seemed to stall out the Brett, and it didn't recover after pulling it out.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 07:38:28 am »

Great blend! It seems like a blend of Saison II/III (not the Dupont strain) and their Brett Brux strain (WLP650).

I've used it once, and the only thing I would change is letting it condition in the keg at cellar-room temp a bit longer before putting it on tap. The drop in temp seemed to stall out the Brett, and it didn't recover after pulling it out.

My basement is at ~60F  so I'm going to strap a brew belt on to give the temps a boost.  I used Brett. Lambicus in a Flanders red I just kegged and it had a very nice Brett character after 7 months in the low 60s, but I know the Saison yeasts like higher temps.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim