Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My Keezer Build  (Read 6554 times)

Offline khillje

• Assistant Brewer
    • Twitter
My Keezer Build
« on: April 10, 2013, 11:13:06 am »
Got a free chest freezer recently.  Added 11-1/4" in head space with the collar addition.  Stapled in reflective insulation throughout the collar.  Definitely planning on getting a fan installed in the base to get circulation throughout. Going to paint the collar white to match.  I plan to eventually add on some casters to the bottom so I can roll it out to my patio for summer parties (after the tap is added).  Still have a ways until finished, but the hard part is done.  Can't wait to start lagerin'!

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: My Keezer Build
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 11:45:03 am »
Looks like a good start on the build.

Make sure to use large enough casters to handle the weight easily.  I originally used 1.5" swivel casters and had issues moving it with kegs in it.  I changed them for 3" swivel casters (front ones lock) and have no trouble rolling it around when needed now.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline khillje

• Assistant Brewer
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 01:41:41 pm »
Looks like a good start on the build.

Make sure to use large enough casters to handle the weight easily.  I originally used 1.5" swivel casters and had issues moving it with kegs in it.  I changed them for 3" swivel casters (front ones lock) and have no trouble rolling it around when needed now.

Paul

Thanks for the heads up!  Did you mount the casters directly to the freezer, or did you make a wooden base that the freezer sits on/in?  Also, any tips on where best to mount the therm control sensor?  I'd imagine since I'll have a fan circulating the air, it shouldn't matter right?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 02:02:22 pm »
Nice build!

IMO the fan should point in the general direction of the sensor and run constantly.

This is how one of my freezmenters is arranged and is quite effective. The sensor is placed midway along the long axis of the freezer.

And, lol are you planning on lifting and moving that keg while full in and out of the keezer? :o
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 02:04:27 pm by euge »
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 02:48:24 pm »
I mounted the casters on a base and the base on the freezer.  It was easier to do.  Fewer holes to drill in the bottom of the freezer.

I hung the sensor from the freezer lid so it sits just above the top of the kegs, dead center in the opening.  It moves out of the way automatically when I open the lid.  May not be prefect but it seems to work.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?