General Category > Extract/Partial Mash Brewing

Honey - add in boil or at flame out?

<< < (2/4) > >>

btrammel:
What a great help - thanks to everyone who has responded.  One other question - and this could be a dumb one (I'm still learning) - will the gravity be effected depending on when I add the honey?

klickitat jim:
Nope, but I suppose fermentability could be. But not by much I wouldn't think

"Freedom is temporary unless you are also Brave!" - Patriot

duboman:

--- Quote from: klickitat jim on April 10, 2013, 06:07:11 PM ---Nope, but I suppose fermentability could be. But not by much I wouldn't think

"Freedom is temporary unless you are also Brave!" - Patriot

--- End quote ---

This is possible in affecting attenuation. There is the possibility that the yeast may tire out consuming all the simple sugars and not have enough energy to finish up the more complex chains in the extract leaving the FG a little higher than desired, although it might combat the drying power of the honey, not sure...

Some people recommend adding the honey as active fermentation slows so the yeast consume the complex sugars first and then go on with the simple sugars of the honey but IMO this would create the drier, thinner beer

smkranz:

--- Quote from: duboman on April 10, 2013, 06:40:45 PM ---Some people recommend adding the honey as active fermentation slows so the yeast consume the complex sugars first and then go on with the simple sugars of the honey but IMO this would create the drier, thinner beer

--- End quote ---

This. 

How dry it goes depends a lot on the yeast strain, and Safale US-05 can go pretty dry no matter when you add the honey.  If you're worried about body, a little maltodextrine in the boil would help.  Packaging says 8 oz. per 5 gallons of beer...YMMV.

(FWIW, 40% of your fermentables as honey is really high.  I make a Pale Ale with about 15-18% of honey as fermentable and sometimes I think it's too much.)

surfin_mikeg:

--- Quote from: goschman on April 10, 2013, 01:33:29 PM ---I wrote an email recently to a brewery which does a honey wheat that has a very nice honey flavor. He told me that they added it after flameout during whirlpool which surprised me. He also noted that higher quality honey makes a big difference...they use local wildflower honey. He noted to use enough to raise the OG by 1 point so I am assuming plato not specific gravity.

--- End quote ---

After flameout, I stop the chilling at ~180, add the honey & let it sit for a bit (orange/honey saison).  Honey quality can vary widely, so it makes sense to source it locally.  I go for a more subtle taste, 1 lb per 5-6 gal.

For the OP: do you need/want to use honey malt and honey at the same time?  Wondering if it might be easier to figure out what works for you by choosing either all honey or dropping that and increasing the % of honey malt.  I've not used honey malt but have the impression that people who use it like it. 

Agreeing with smkranz, it's seems like a lot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version