Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Holy Attenuation Batman!  (Read 1241 times)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
Holy Attenuation Batman!
« on: April 14, 2013, 01:20:14 pm »
My New World IPA started at 1.063 and finished at 1.006. I had been having some doubts about my hydrometer so I bought another one Friday. I had both of them in the beer at the same time today and both read identical. If this was a malty beer I would not like that much attenuation. But I wanted this to be a hoppy beer and the higher the attenuation the less malt gets in the way of the flavor of the hops. I think the reason for this attenuation was I mashed at 148F for 90 minutes, and I used Nottingham yeast.

I had dried krausen from the level of the beer to the top of the bucket and completely covering the lid. It was a lot of work to clean up. In 2 weeks we shall see how tasty the beer tastes.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Holy Attenuation Batman!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 02:15:16 pm »
Hopefully this won't be the case for you but I find extremely dry IPAs to be less than desirable. The loss of body usually makes for a harsh drinking experience.

That said, just because both hydrometers read the same doesn't mean they are both accurate. Test them in room temp tap water and see if they read 1.000. I have two hyrdometers and one reads 2 points off the other reads 4.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 02:18:10 pm by majorvices »

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 02:27:31 pm »
I had already done that with one of my hydrometers. And I hope I don't run into the too dry thing you are talking about. I really expected to see something closer to 1.012 to 1.015 on this beer.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 03:24:32 pm »
Not sure of your grain bill but if it was mostly pale malt I can see it easilt attenuating that far down with a mash of 148 degrees.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout