Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: raspberry hefeweizen  (Read 2381 times)

Offline dougcogley

• 1st Kit
raspberry hefeweizen
« on: April 12, 2013, 06:53:36 am »
I brewed a hefeweizen and wanted to add real raspberries into the secondary.  Friend of mine did this with 5lb strawberries and it was great.  I know raspberries are stronger in taste so I thought of scaling it back to 3lb.  Since the are not in season I picked up 3lb of frozen from whole foods.  I was going to thaw them out then, and then blanch them in boiling water.  Is this a good way to prepare them to add in the secondary?  Also do you agree with 3lb?  I am wondering how to add to the secondary.  Cut them up or puree them in food processor?  Just throw them in and they will sink to the bottom or put in a cheese cloth or similar bag?
Any tips are appreciated.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: raspberry hefeweizen
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 07:17:24 am »
I'm not a fruit beer fan, but I do brew one for my wife occasionally.  I would go with Oregon Raspberry Puree if you can find it.  There are no seeds and the flavor is excellent. Much more convenient. The amount is a matter of preference.  I think a can of it adds alot of raspberry flavor, but it might be just the amount you want.
Jon H.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 07:19:52 am »
My LHBS sells it by the way.  If yours doesn't, you might be able to find it online.
Jon H.

Offline shawnk

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 07:23:13 am »