General Category > Kegging and Bottling

beer line formula???

(1/3) > >>

cwbrew:
have a english bitter on tap. force carbed for 3 days at 30psi then droped it to 8psi beer comes out a little to foamy if you are not carefull with the pour. tried dropping it all the way to 3psi and not much differance. took it back to 8psi currently, im thinking i either have to long of beer line or too short. this is a new system and id like to get it dialed in right from the start. if anyone can give me a place to go look up the formulas for beer line length and diameter verse pressure id appreciate it. (id beerline is 3/16 and 5 feet of line at 8psi with 3 1/2" shank running in a 36degree keezer if this helps)

Slowbrew:

--- Quote from: cwbrew on April 12, 2013, 06:26:36 AM ---have a english bitter on tap. force carbed for 3 days at 30psi then droped it to 8psi beer comes out a little to foamy if you are not carefull with the pour. tried dropping it all the way to 3psi and not much differance. took it back to 8psi currently, im thinking i either have to long of beer line or too short. this is a new system and id like to get it dialed in right from the start. if anyone can give me a place to go look up the formulas for beer line length and diameter verse pressure id appreciate it. (id beerline is 3/16 and 5 feet of line at 8psi with 3 1/2" shank running in a 36degree keezer if this helps)

--- End quote ---

The rule of thumb is a 2lb drop per 1' of 3/16" line.  So 5' of line should be okay on 8 psi.

My first guess (and that's all it is) is your keg is slightly over carbed.  You are serving at 8 psi but your keg is a little north of 10 psi.  Try shutting off the gas and venting the keg a couple of times over a few hours.  That will reduce the carb level in the keg and should straighten out your pour.  I've had to do this many times.

Paul

Joe Sr.:

--- Quote from: Slowbrew on April 12, 2013, 06:50:59 AM ---My first guess (and that's all it is) is your keg is slightly over carbed.  You are serving at 8 psi but your keg is a little north of 10 psi.  Try shutting off the gas and venting the keg a couple of times over a few hours.  That will reduce the carb level in the keg and should straighten out your pour.  I've had to do this many times.

Paul

--- End quote ---

Agree completely.

Venting the keg a few times should get you where you want to be.

weithman5:
as above.  the regulator may be set at 8 psi but this acts kind of like a check valve. if you carbed the keg to 30 stablized and then reduce the regulator to 8, unless there is a temperature or volume change the keg is still at 30 psi. until you start drawing off.

bwana:
When this happens to me I take the in line off the keg and pour from the keg pressure. When you need the presure turn your line to 5psi. Your keg will balance out in a few days. Venting is also good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version