Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What Am I Missing in This Artcle?  (Read 11103 times)

Offline anthony

• Brewer
  • Hoppy to help!
    • Triptych
Re: What Am I Missing in This Artcle?
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2013, 12:52:00 pm »
While beer sales are up, and just barely, there was a good point made at CBC this year that macro brands are losing more drinkers than craft beer is gaining. Many of them are turning back to spirits and some are venturing into alternative beverages like cider, malt beverages, etc.

And the argument that Kim, Jim, Larry, et al. are making is that their breweries, some of the largest breweries by sales volume in craft brewing, spend lots of $$ each year to not only promote their specific brands but promote craft beer in general. Some of the new small breweries are riding the coat-tails of that movement, and when they make bad beer, that negative experience blows back and impacts the big craft brewers too. And it impacts other breweries in the same local market too.

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2013, 01:55:35 pm »
I agree. That is why I suggested that if you want to open a pico/nano brewery to make your money somewhere else first.  That way the brewery can essentially stay a hobby and not become a "job" since you aren't relying on it for your income.

I've often thought, whilst brewing, that a lot of local, state and federal paperwork would make my hobby so much better.
No doubt to get that there is a lot of paperwork up front. Once you get going though I have heard that it isn't bad at all.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2013, 08:44:38 am »
I agree. That is why I suggested that if you want to open a pico/nano brewery to make your money somewhere else first.  That way the brewery can essentially stay a hobby and not become a "job" since you aren't relying on it for your income.

I've often thought, whilst brewing, that a lot of local, state and federal paperwork would make my hobby so much better.

LOL.  We own and operate a pico brewery.  And there's no doubt that the paperwork is a PITA.  But, now that I've got a system down, it's not TOO bad.  But, I hear ya.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2013, 09:38:38 am »
I can only speak from my experience, but I had a situation where someone was willing to give me the space and money to start a nano-brewery.

I decided mixing my hobby and work would be like mixing chocolate and crap. The crap would still be crap, but the chocolate would be a whole lot worse.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.